Tuesday, March 3, 2015

And Then Thumb


We read that today is "If Pets had Thumbs" Day. Maggie, our polydactyl Maine Coon, is wondering what that is supposed to mean! Many cats do have thumbs, and they find them quite useful, too.

The extra digits are created by the polydactyly gene. Those with this special, inherited gene can have one or multiple extra toes or digits, including "thumbs". Maggie has a total of 20 toes, including thumbs. She has four toes on each back foot, and six digits on each front paw.  

Before Maggie, we were blessed with another white polydactyl cat. Purrl had 23 digits. I have written about Maggie and Purrl in the past, and have it posted on my Critter page. While Maggie does use her thumbs, Purrl was especially adept with hers. She could pull levers, turn knobs, pull the strings all the way out on toys, pick things up and hold them with both paws, and almost anything else she tried to do. She used her "hands" easily. She was very much a tomboy, not quite the diva that Maggie is.

Today is Purrl's birthday. She would be 25 years old.  She crossed the Rainbow Bridge when she was 17 1/2 years old. It seems extremely appropriate that her birthday is also "If Pets had Thumbs" day. 

We pay tribute to our special Purrl, our wonderful Maggie, and to all of those special ones who, like them, do indeed have thumbs.


 Cats with Thumbs and a sense of humour

Finally, time for Maggie's catnap...

...see you later!

26 comments:

  1. I was just reading about this trait the other day. Beautiful cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does it cost more money when you get a petty-cure?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute post. Mom always wanted a Hemingway polydactyl cat, but they have not been putting them up for adoption outside Key West for years now. That is the only place she has ever seen them in person. Happy birthday in Summerland to your beautiful Purrl. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo and hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was really a terrific polypost gang! I understand that their used to be a polydactyl kitty here many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fascinating! Maybe they could invent the things we've invented, if they wanted to take the time. Well, no, cats would have their servants, us, do it for them, then just take advantage.

    Thanks for the neat lesson on pets with thumbs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun! Love the first photo. Shows the thumb so well. You need to teach her to knit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have some polydactyl cats at the farm. I always thought it was inbreeding defect.

    Love the video. It put a big smile on my face.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  8. maggie...hi ya gorgoeuz ♥♥♥ N pleez ta tell annie that purrl is de birthday gal at oh one total lee rockin awesum partee in heaven...de cake iz like 280 miles wide de fish bee on de grill ta satern & bak...everee onez gettin buzzed on nip...AND purrlz meowin bout how way kewl her peepulz iz....♥♥♥

    { dude & sauce said this ta uz ...N now we iz tellin ewe guys } ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had two polydactyl kitties in my life. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got 24 toesies! I just wish I knew how to use all of them to open my cans of food. ~Ernie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Polydactyl cats are quite special! You know, Sammy from One Spoiled Cat is a polydactyl too

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL - that was so cute!! I don't know if Cashew has any extra digits, but he sure has quick reflexes!! If you throw his toy mice, or a ball past him - he always catches it! always. like lightning quick. amazes me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. how interesting...i dont know if i knew that cat could have thumbs...that is pretty crazy on all the toes as well...i would check my cat but if i wake him...he might use what is on the end of those digits on me...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Purrl as beautiful and so is Maggie. My Polar Bear is a poldactyl polygamist- he has 2 kitty wives :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post, and I learned so much about kitties that have thumbs. I have often wondered how adept they were with them. It was also nice to hear of the sweeties that came before. Sorry I've been missing. Hope to get back on track now - hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pawsome! I've always wanted a polydactyl kitty. I love big, furry feet and extra toes (or thumbs) make feet jumbo sized. My neighbor kitties are polydactyl and I love their feet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. McGuffy,
    That's a beautiful Maine Coon. So, pretty!
    The manicuring cat gave me a big laugh - thanks for that.
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow! nice to know about rhem:)
    sweet cats:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Maggie and of course your sweet departed Purrl are absolutely adorable. One of our cats uses her paws like that but she doesn't have the extra digits. We also caught our Harley the other day trying to turn a doorknob. Cats are so fun and that video you posted was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how I would LOVE to hold and love on Maggie. Purrl too if only I could. Even though I speak of Chloe Jo often I love everyone. xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Ann!

    I didn't not know this about cats.
    But, it makes sense as humans can have extra toes and fingers, too.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete