Wednesday, March 4, 2015

No Better Medicine


How Caring for Critters Helped Heal the Wounds of the Past

By Kelly Meister-Yetter

I reviewed Kelly’s first book, “Crazy Critter Lady”. In this sequel, the author continues her story. Here, she explains how the effects of her abusive childhood taught her to not trust others. The miracle is how caring for animals led to her eventual healing.

Kelly tells us her story openly and with honesty. She writes about her adventures caring for abandoned ducks at a pond near her home. She also tells about her work as a volunteer at a local barn. Throughout, she has tackled a variety of rescues with no qualms regarding the possible outcome.

Kelly has been driven by her own pain and the desire to make a difference. However, it is when Kelly reconnects with an old friend that her life really begins to change. Dudley is as kind and caring as Kelly. Dudley understands. Their relationship includes the critters, rescues, and love. From that love, Kelly truly begins to heal.

Those who have been through traumatic childhoods may well relate to the conflicting trust issues and the need to reach out with love. I do. Animals love unconditionally, and appreciate what is done for them. Kelly, and many of us, learned that early on. 

I recommend this book for those who love animals and rescue stories, but also to those who may relate to Kelly’s personal journey. My review of "Crazy Critter Lady" and my interview with Kelly can be found on my Book Review page.

13 comments:

  1. looks like a great book. I have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure her story is very intersting, and it looks like it has a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The destination is always Love.It is the journey that teaches us what we need to know to get there.

      Delete
  3. Wow, great recommend. I believe critters (as a whole) are the best for all, in so many ways, and I pity the folks that haven't discovered that yet. It's so funny too how all makes of critters can pick out those who are not so much a fan. Critters- the wisest of all creatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly, Karen. On your entire comment, actually. Well said. I never understood "not liking" critters. God obviously loves them! look at the many kinds, species, varieties, colours, that He makes. Which is why I am sure that Heaven is full of them, too!

      Delete
    2. Being a critter lover, I think I'd better pick this book up too. Thank you for the great review.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, M. I know you love critters.

      Delete
  4. Caring for critters can help us in so many ways, and through so many tough times in life. It's nice to know her help of animals helped her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Critters give from the heart, without effort or thought. It is their nature. Love heals, the giver as well as the receiver.

      Delete
  5. I am a critter lover from waaaaay back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann,

    This sounds like an excellent book.
    I do agree, animals can help you heal from abuse.

    ReplyDelete