Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Dirty Chick


Adventures of an Unlikely Farmer

By Antonia Murphy

Antonia Murphy was a fast paced city journalist from San Francisco. However, after becoming a parent she decided that she needed to settle down to raise her family in a close, supportive environment. Antonia and her husband ended up on a farm in New Zealand. Making it their home, they felt they could focus on the important things: family and community.

From the very beginning of this memoir, the author engages the reader with humour and wit. Some of the stories we read about are the problems of an errant rooster, the charms of both alpacas and goats, raining lambs, and the issues of wandering cows.

Along with these exploits are many other related issues of farming. We learn of pitfalls in making cheese, and the extra benefits of homemade wine. Again, generous humour is added to both recipes. However, there are many valuable life lessons in this colourful book, as well. 

This is a memoir that has it all: family drama, rich humour, critters, world travel, and so much more. It is all told with a generous heart and warm soul. I can only hope that Antonia Murphy will write more about the adventures on her New Zealand farm. She may be a "dirty chick", but she is my kind of person! 

10 comments:

  1. Oh now, that sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great read...might get it for my farmer brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It almost fit my life except I don't have extra farm critters other than calves, cats cows, racoons and squirrels. We get the other odd pest like groundhogs, skunks and foxes. Sounds like a great read.
    Thanks.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a wonderful life! What i want to know is how they ended up half way across the globe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like my kind of book... thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I jotted this down, it's right up my alley! Sounds wonderful, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that I might love a book like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great book. I must add this to me Goodreads list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. New Zealand is one of my dream vacations!! this sounds so great -- I'm going to have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete