Tuesday, May 26, 2015

In the Good Old Summertime

I love music and my life definitely has a soundtrack. Les over at Time Out for Mom is having a Summer Music Fest. I cannot resist that! Come join us and bring your favourite Summer songs. I am bringing mine and Bill's, too. These songs may date us a bit, but it is all about Summer, memories, and fun.

The first song is the song that speaks of Summer to Bill. He was taking a Summer School class in Drafting at his high school. The year was 1970 when this song came out. This song was sung by Eric Burdon and War. The song was a unique mix of Latin, funk, and soul. This was new territory in the music world, but a very successful song.  It was also War's first chart hit, rising to #3 on US charts. Bill brought some wine, so Spill the Wine.



Bill's second Summer song choice was popular that same Summer. It is performed by the British band Mungo Jerry. The song hit #3 on the US Billboard "Hot 100" chart. It was also a worldwide hit, coming in at #1 on charts in both the UK and Canada. This song is considered one of the best singles of all time and is still popular. Here is the classic "Hot" Summer song of 1970, In the Summertime.



My first song choice takes me back to happy childhood memories.  My adolescent years were rooted in Texas and are some of my very best memories. My hero, there was Uncle Eddie, who had just come back from Vietnam. I hung around him every chance I got. We built his bedroom addition onto the house. He made me a great tire swing. He taught me about many things including great rock music. Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR) was Uncle Eddie's favourite band. It quickly became one of my favourites, too. This song speaks strongly to me of warm Summer memories. Let me take you to Green River.  


John Fogerty, of Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR), wrote the song Green River.  He drew on memories from a favourite vacation spot from his childhood. However, the name came from his favourite soda pop, the syrupy Green River. This song was officially certified Gold in 1990 though I thought so back in 1970.

Another Summer song that always takes me there is one that was popular as I graduated high school in 1977. This song topped the Billboard "Hot 100" chart and peaked at #10 on the Easy Listening chart that Summer. This song also went on to win the Grammy Award for 1977 Record of the Year.  Come with me to the mysterious  Hotel California.


Hotel California was written by Don Felder, Glenn Frey, and Don Henley, all who were members of the Eagles. Don Henley is quoted as saying that the song is about "going from innocence to experience". That pretty much sums up our Summer song choices. Here's to Summer...and warm memories. 


Linked to:


38 comments:

  1. We like those tunes too but I'm not sure I want to stay at the Hotel California!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can check out any time you like...*wink*

      Delete
  2. Nice musicand nice memories...
    What a coincidence..my post today is about old music and instruments:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Summer song choices, McGuffy Ann and Bill! I grew up listening to the Eagles, so "Hotel California" is a big fave here, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am glad you liked that one, too!

      Delete
  4. Love this post...we are driving to Bethel Woods this summer...otherwise known as Woodstock...to see Peter Satara...I think I have his last name wrong...from Chicago! Didn't they have a summer song? Lol! Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Cetera, from the band, Chicago? That should be fun for you. Chicago had good songs. (Of course, I am from Chicago.)

      Delete
  5. Yeah Brian, you can check out but you can never leave.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO WITH YOU on the Eagles "Hotel California" as it resonates Summer for me as well.
    Love Noodles

    ReplyDelete
  7. All my favorites as well, in fact Mungo Jerry In The Summertime is probably my all time fave, not just for summer, but the beat just gets me moving! It's upbeat rocks. I do like all the mystery around Hotel California too, you can count me a follower of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Bill likes those two songs for the reason you mention. The beat, but the arrangements, too. He is a musician, and has been since age 8. In high school he was in Jazz Band. He remembers listening to them while going to and from summer school.

      Delete
  8. You've got some great picks there! I think I need to update my Spotify! ;) Hotel California is a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessy. We are very old school. ♥

      Delete
  9. My hubby loves CCR, we have gone to see John Fogerty in concert 4 times. And he says we are The Hotel California for cats :) Thanks for visiting us on our blogoversary and for your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still love Fogerty. Awesome.
      Some of our rescues checked in here and stayed!
      Hug. ❤

      Delete
  10. Nice soundtrack to your summer memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your choices! Perfect summer picks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Annie, for the nice lineup of music. I listened to two tonight.
    I also like the rendition of Hotel California by the Gypsy Kings.
    Have a Beautiful Day!!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chandra. I am glad you enjoyed the music!

      Delete
  13. LOVE them all.... so ha, age don't mean a thing baby! LOL
    especially CCR and The Eagles - definite favourites of mine because they remind me of summers on the farm. there was always country music or classic soft rock playing in the barn. great choices -- I can party on the back deck with you and Bill anytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, your barn music is right down my alley. I would love to visit that farm! I would party with you anytime, my friend! Hug!

      Delete
  14. Bill's second is one of my all time favorites! I am also a huge Eagle's fan...my favorite being, "Lying Eyes." Of course, summer means Beach Boys. So Annie, I now find out I am 10 years older than you are. A favorite song from the summer I graduated high school (1967) was The Doors, "Crystal Ship." Of course, the song was about drugs, which I didn't know then. I was quite naive back then. Love and hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a serious Doors fan (and Rolling Stones). Morrison had a way with writing. It was always multi-dimensional. I have his poetry books; he is a favourite. Sad when the geniuses implode, as many of that era did (Morrison, Hendrix, Joplin, etc.)

      I love 60-70s classic rock. I grew up with it (lots of baby sitters), so it is ingrained in me. Nothing comes close.

      Delete
    2. Forgot to mention The Beach Boys, "California Girls," from summer '65. Being a California girl from birth through my 22nd year, it has and still does hold special meaning. Other favs besides Eagles and B Boys are Bob Seger, Van Morrison, Dan Fogelberg and Bread. Someday I will give you a list of all the bands I've seen in person. Growing up and going to College in CA really was a plus! Just arrived at hotel in Nashville, so more later. More love and hugs, Janet

      Delete
  15. Thanks for your musical post this morning, Annie. Great videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed this, Linda! Thanks!

      Delete
  16. Thanks for a musical morning. I love the "in the summertime" as well, great beat and very lighthearted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All these songs were and are favorites of ours. CCR! War... Spill the wine was BIG. CH and I both had "In the Summertime" as ringtones on our phones... not at the same time! Love your picks! Those were some great years!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome summer tunes for sure! Spill the Wine is a new one to me, but for obvious reasons, I love it. ;)

    Camping Fun on a Pontoon with One More Drinkin’ Song for Summertime and RTT Rebel Coffee Chat.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had such a crush on Eric Burdon when I was a teenager! You've picked some great songs there. I enjoyed getting reacquainted with them.

    ReplyDelete