Saturday, May 9, 2015

Pieces of My Mother


A Memoir

By Melissa Cistaro

This book is a very poignant story of a girl growing up without a mother. The truly heartbreaking thing is that the author’s mother chose to leave her. Melissa Cistaro shares how it was to go grow up with this knowledge.

 Throughout her life, Melissa’s mother would come back into her life, only to leave again. In this heartbreaking memoir, the author shares how her mother’s choices affected her. She consistently struggled to connect with her mother but was never quite able to. Melissa tried to find answers as to why her mother kept leaving, and also how to make her stay.

In her mother’s final days, Melissa travels to her bedside. She still hoped to find answers and perhaps a meaningful connection. She finds some unsent letters and searches through them. The letters are to various people in her mother’s life. In the letters, Melissa finally finds some insight into her mother’s thinking. 

This book is a painful portrait of a girl abandoned by a very self-centered woman. However, in spite of her mother's ways, Melissa manages to form a life very different than what she knew. This story also shows how what our parents give us does not have to define us. We decide what does that. 

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like it might have been tough to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it was difficult to write. However, I give her credit for doing so. Not all mothers are there for their kids. And some are there physically, but still not "there".

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty sure the author got rid of a lot of baggage to write this memoir. My mother's memoir was a joy to write, so I feel very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she did. She seems very grounded, in spite of her mother's issues. As you know, writing can be cathartic. Even so, there are some things that just cannot be shared. She did well here.

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately, there's a lot of kids who suffered or are suffering from an absent or self- centered mother and I Know of several. It a vicious circle that continues until it is broken.

    A great review on this book and it sounds like painful read.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie...I wrote too fast...I meant it sounded as though she turned her life around...no matter what...that part was hopeful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a book I would like when I can find some time to read again. Hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds sad, yet interesting. I love memoirs so I will add it to my Goodreads list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Difficult to write (or to read, for that matter), yet likely cathartic.

    ReplyDelete