Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Let Me Die in His Footsteps


By Lori Roy

It is 1952. Fifteen-year-old Annie Halloran is following an old tradition handed down through generations. At midnight, she sneaks out to go to an old well on the Baines’ neighboring Kentucky farm. She hopes to see the image of her future husband gazing back at her from the water in the old well.  However, the Hallorans' and Baines' have a very complicated and violent history. On this night, the past will come back to haunt both families, as well as the town they all share. 

No one writes Southern Gothic better than Lori Roy. Her understanding of family secrets, feuds, history, and folklore is deep and satisfying. Each of her atmospheric novels is beautifully written. Lori Roy never disappoints.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good one- I'll add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely words...I just started this one today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great intro to the book...intriguing, Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm....another Southern Gothic....cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could definitely get into this one!! I love this genre -- I don't know why the South so fascinates me -- being all the way up here in still cold Canada!

    ReplyDelete