Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Making a Difference


When I was younger, I always worked at jobs where I felt that I could make a difference. As a child, I was forever rescuing critters or pet sitting for neighbors. In my teens, I also sought babysitting jobs and began working in human health care positions. I continued to volunteer with animals and eventually felt the best fit for me was as a veterinary technician. I could incorporate my hobbies and skills.

I was paid as a veterinary assistant and technician. Later, I owned my own pet care/pet sitting business. However, the unpaid positions were just as fulfilling as the paid ones. Working with animals is very rewarding in any capacity. Teaching a puppy a new thing is as much fun for me as it is for the puppy. Teaching an old dog a new trick is exhilarating. Rehabilitating a stray cat who has been hit by a car is exciting. Seeing a critically ill animal respond to treatment is amazing. Helping animals live long, happy, healthy lives is something I feel very strongly about. There is no monetary value for that.

Fostering newborn kittens is something that I especially love to do. When I see these tiny little babies work so hard to survive, I am in awe. They are beginning life with nothing, no mother to provide their very basic needs. Yet, they fight to survive. Their inner strength humbles me. I feel privileged to be a part of their journey as their surrogate mother. It is extremely rewarding. The rewards are not monetary, however. They are the rewards of the heart and soul. I can make a difference. And so I do it...for them.


Sharing with:
Quote Prompt:
"It's easy to make a buck.
It's a lot tougher to make a difference."
~Tom Brokaw

20 comments:

  1. Your advocacy for animals is so inspiring and your heart is so big. I loved reading your background and it was no surprise that this has been a part of your life all along. Thank you for the animals. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a win! win! situation for all parties involved! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love what you do for the little ones! Hugs from all of us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for being the kind person you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. annie...thanx for sharing the journey of the wee ones as well; I've enjoyed reading about and seeing them in photo's......high paws & headbonx to you for everything you've done....and will continue to do ~~~~~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. The things we do that earn us no monetary compensation are the best things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And now I know a little more about your past, though none of this was surprising. You have one of the biggest hearts I've ever known.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And thanks for introducing me to yet another writing prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We hale this isn't embarrassing but we just love you. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a precious and adorable photo!

    Happy week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish there were more people like you in this world- it would be a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful heart you have. And a hard working one. It seems you were born to nurture and care for the animals of the earth. Thr gifts od your talents and abilities that you give to those in your charge are priceless! Thank you for all you do for the animals and for the people that love them. You know how hard it is to make a difference and you are a model of how to do it.
    Well done, good and faithful servant! Thanks for sharing your story at In Other Words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where one's motive is pure, no payment is necessary. My own words...
    Your work is a pure form of good Karma.
    Keep it up, Annie!
    Have a Beautiful Week!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Annie, this is so beautifully stated. I had no idea about your veterinary background. I am enjoying vicariously your raising the kittens. The TNR/rescue that Tom and I volunteer with have asked me to foster newborns, but physically I cannot do it, and I know my brood would have a conniption, especially as I have no secluded place to keep them. Continue the good work. I know it has to be so fulfilling. Love and hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry I'm running late again today. The world need more people like you Annie. Thanks for being such a caring person. I'm sure the animals respond well to your unconditional love.
    Hugs,
    JB ♡

    ReplyDelete
  16. McGuffy you inspire me and I am sure many others! Thank you for the good things you do for animals in need.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They make such a pretty kitty pile! They got a great start with you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh look at that cute furry kitty pile of cuddles!! I can see exactly why you find this so rewarding. Those beautiful creatures are so blessed to have been touched by your gentle hands....and heart. and so are we <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. The world is a better place because of people like you.

    ReplyDelete