Saturday, September 26, 2015

Jam


Bumper to bumper, door to door,
it’s rush-hour traffic that I simply deplore.
A race against time, the minutes tick by;                                                          
we inch along slowly, yet rarely know why.                                                                  
I read all the stickers and state license plates;
I must entertain myself, as I sit here and wait.                                    
Finally, I’m free to pick up my speed.                                                     
I don’t watch the signs of which I should heed.                                               
But watching my speed is a state highway cop;                                                           
to give me a ticket he now makes me stop.                                                       
It just wasn’t worth it; now I’m later than ever.
I think I’ll be stuck in this traffic forever!   


Poem: McGuffy Ann Morris
Image: Unknown



Shared with:
Quote prompt:
"The key to everything is patience.
You get the chicken by hatching 
the egg, not by smashing it."
~Arnold H. Glasow

&


18 comments:

  1. BOY! Do we know what THAT'S like! Love the image too. SO right. I am headed over the mountains before long and I-40 has yet another rockslide so who knows how long I will be sitting there hoping to get through that mile marker where they are yet again doing the work. Maybe Bill has been by there lately and knows. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think the best way is to be patient listening to a good audio book or have a good companion for pleasant conversation.
    Limbo Delirium
    Black & White Abstracts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yea, I hear it is a lot like that around here too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dislike traffic and crowds. I'm turning into a hermit I think.

    Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate heavy and fast highway traffic..For some reason bumper to bumper slow traffic doesn't bother me so much unless I am in a hurry..But I hate crowds when I am on foot :-/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true! I've always found the term "rush hour traffic" sort of odd, since no one seems to move! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a car, but I get frustrated when I'm sitting on a bus through 3 or 4 lights, to get through an intersection. Easier to walk the 5 km (about 3 miles) to and from work! This is a small city, but like the rest of Canada, infrastructure has NOT kept pace with growth.

    But oh, it would kill my soul to live in a larger city and have to sit in that kind of rush hour traffic every day. Ugh, ugh, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Traffic is a crazy mess. So often what is 20 minutes away takes almost an hour to get to. Had to laugh at the bit about the ticket. How do the cops manage to get around in the traffic mess to give their tickets? Rush hour traffic is a pain in the butt and it won't be long before the holiday traffic begins and makes it all worse. Your poem was a treat. Thanks for posting it at In Other Words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great poem, I am glad I don't have to deal with traffic often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy we no longer live in a place like this. I am NOT known for my patience; though, I am better now that I am retired. Love and hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep! I been there. Now I am so happy we live in a rural area. While it can be isolating at times I don't miss the traffic. Rush hour here is about 20 cars... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The worst!! And that is why I am a stay at home mom!! The commute each day was brutal. It's no wonder we all are full of simmering rage.... it's just so stressful a way to live every single day.
    If I had a working cassette player/CD I would have listened to audio books, but no such luck back then.
    At least you made some good art out of the grim reality.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh boy, don't you just know that that was going to happen... I hate traffic. And traffic jams. When I am on vacation I am pretty good about it (like recently), but at home - very stressful.
    Thanks for linking @ sARTurday.

    ReplyDelete