Thursday, September 24, 2015

Life Lessons

Summer is over, and Autumn is here. Kids have gone back to school. So Ms. Rorybore has asked the “Coffee Chat” question: “What would you like to learn now?”

There are many things that I wish I had learned when I was young. I wish that I had been given the opportunity to learn how to swim. When I was a child we moved so much and so often that it was too tumultuous for things like that.

I would have liked to learn how to crochet, too. However, there was no one available to teach me that. I did teach myself how to sew by hand, including crewel and embroidery. I also taught myself macramé. I would have appreciated music lessons, but was happy to be in school choirs throughout my childhood. School choirs were always available and easy to join.

At this point in my life, I know I will not learn to swim. I doubt I will ever crochet or play an instrument, either. I am comfortable with this knowledge. However, there are many things that I have learned throughout my life, some through research, and others through opportunity. Often, one lesson led to another. 

I have an endless curiosity, so I am always looking to learn new things. Friends have often teased me about my treasure trove of facts and information. I am always looking things up after hearing about something that piques my curiosity. I want to know and understand as much as possible. I like to share what I know because I like to learn from others, too. Sharing knowledge benefits us all.

I always cherish the things that I learn through opportunity. I have learned much by watching and observing. Nature has been a great teacher. I watched a caterpillar form its chrysalis, and then I waited patiently for it to emerge as a butterfly. I learned animal behavior by watching both wildlife and domestic animals. I have studied human behavior by observing and paying close attention.

As I learn something, it inevitably leads to learning something else. It becomes a chain of lessons, each link valuable in itself, but priceless as a whole. The more I learn, the more I want to learn. Yet, the more I know, the more I realize there is so much I still do not know. So, I seek to keep learning.

I have always loved books for this very reason. Reading is knowledge. In addition, we now have the ease of the Internet. The great thing about the Internet is the wealth of information that it offers with links to websites, images, and videos. I make use of them all. I learn a lot from my blog friends, too. The Internet has linked us all together in another unique chain. 

So, for me it is a lifelong quest to learn whatever I can as I am presented with the opportunity. The opportunities are truly endless and I am an eager and attentive student.





Shared with:

22 comments:

  1. My mom-person have an endless curiosity too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, my grandfather's brother went back to school at age; I believe he was in his 80's. He did so to finish the education he never got and to learn what he should have learned in grade school, many many years ago. Family and "world" circumstances forced him to quit school, get a job, enlist, etc etc etc. I always thought this was pretty neat; he never gave up his hope in receiving his diploma ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is commendable. What an inspiration! I 'd bet he was quite a guy.

      Delete
  3. Do you watch any of the TED talks? Tons of great stuff there!

    I would have liked to learn things like good money management, relationship and life-coping skills... along with many other things. Crochet is one, I never did learn, though I have basic knitting skills. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look into this. As for relationship and life coping, I think it is mostly trial and error. The experiences we have teach us and we learn as we grow.

      Delete
  4. Never, ever stop learning is something i heard as a child and still try to hold now. The older i get, the more fun it is to learn new things, or so it seems to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that as we mature, the wisdom of age gives us courage to make healthier choices. We know ourselves better.

      Delete
  5. Depends on which day you asked me that question...

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was terrific! I would like to learn to write with such clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're never too old to learn new things, are you? I'm a curious girl, like you and when I don't know something then the Internet is an invaluable resource to educate myself on just about thing. I don't believe there is a particular thing i want to learn. Right now I'm content to stretch my knowledge base on various subjects whenever possible. By the way,don't rule out learning how to swim. My mother had lessons when she was in her late 30s - early 40s. Here's something totally different, but my grandma didn't learn how to drive a car until way later in life. I think I was in my early 20s when she conquered that milestone. So, don't give on learning how to swim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is never too late to learn to crochet- or anything else. I learned to crochet from a class at the library 5 years ago- and I am a lefty. If I can learn. you can too especially when you can sew. I bet you could even learn from an online tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE THIS!!!
    "It becomes a chain of lessons, each link valuable in itself, but priceless as a whole." Perfectly stated. That is exactly how it should be. and hopefully that chain never ends. I'd like to think I keep adding link after link after link. Always willing and open to receive something new. Always being in Awe. Wonderful my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope to learn wisdom, and how to grow more vegetables. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, there is so much to learn. I wish I had had opportunity for music lessons, too...I would love to know how to paint. In fact, I have cheap water colors, but the real love I would have is oil...but feel like with my sewing, I don't need any new hobbies! I half taught myself to crochet, but that was after I was older..probably in my 50's, and so slow I did not pursue it. But wish I had learned to crochet and to knit...when I was younger.

    Like you, I love the internet, and learn a lot through blogging. Some of it I would never have thought to look up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good to always want to learn something new. Even if it is football. Wink.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel as if I have forgotten more than I ever knew. But I continue to learn new things so that's great. Your comment about choirs being easy to join made me sad. I have never been able to sing a lick. If I had to sing for my supper, I'd starve. When I tried out for the choir in elementary school, I was the only one who didn't get in. I say keep reading and exploring...it's the ticket to living a fulfilling life. Love you and sending hugs. Kiss that sweet little George for me. Hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a friend who took swimming lessons at the Y...she was 72! She is now in her 80's and swims a couple of times a week. I say go fot it!

    ReplyDelete