Thursday, October 1, 2015

Sharing Wise Words

We have been challenged by Janet of The Cat on My Head to participate in a Quote Challenge. I love quotes, as they can offer comfort and inspiration. So, I accept this challenge.

The quote that I live by is, “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” I first read this quote by the philosopher/poet Friedrich Nietzsche when I was a teenager. I have personalized it, as many do. Throughout my life, these words have helped me forge through many difficult times and situations.


I love the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi. There are many words of wisdom that he has given us to follow. One of my favourite quotes by Gandhi is very simple. “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” If each of us kept that in mind and heart we would all benefit in lasting ways.


 I keep another quote by the wise Mahatma Gandhi on my blog footer, with an image of Maggie and Chloe Jo. Please notice my footer to see how powerful this quote is. This quote is one that I feel is deeply important to all who share this planet. Gandhi said, “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

There are many more quotes that come to mind and speak to me.  Some inspire me, some humble me. I have tried to learn from the many teachers that have been given to me in various ways. Some of these teachers have come to me through books. Many have been proven through time and experience, such as religious leaders and spiritual leaders. Others have been in my life for a specific purpose, such as school teachers. Yet, I have learned much from relatives and friends, too. I think of their words often as I go through my daily life. Some of these words are sage advice for a lifetime while others make me laugh long after they were said.

When I started my blog, I shared a quote once a week. I have been thinking of doing that again. Time and circumstance change my direction, whether I like it or not. However, I am trying to get back to a routine and schedule with my blog and my writing. I am only human. A favourite quote that illustrates this perfectly is from the author Augusten Burroughs, “I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.”


The rules are of this Quote Challenge are:
*Thank the blogger who nominated you.
I want to thank Janet of The Cat on My Head. She is a warm and wonderful person who shares words of wisdom and inspiration with the help of The Kitties Blue. Thank you, Janet, for all that you do and for always being there.
*Post three of your favorite quotes.
I have posted four that immediately came to mind.
*Nominate 3 bloggers and challenge them.
I now challenge these three bloggers to share quotes that speak to them:
*Les of Ink Interrupted 
*Patricia of Patricia's Place  

29 comments:

  1. I'm sometimes a little sniffy about inspirational quotes which I know is probably a flaw in me. I think the ones that get under my skin are the ones that people sometimes try to use as weapons against others (after relationship break ups etc). However, the ones that inspire people to have genuine strength in themselves are very different. I don't necessarily believe that that which does not kill us make us stronger, I think it just doesn't kill us but I do think that Gandhi talked a lot of sense. From a personal point of view I prefer the more lighthearted approach of Groucho Marx which again possibly says a lot about me personally. I guess anything that give people something to hold on to, something to help them move forward when they are struggling can't be a bad thing and at times I'm probably a little judgemental.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the wonderful things about quotes: the ones that speak to us are the ones that can give us comfort or inspire us. Yes, many quotes can amuse us, too, which is also great. This includes Groucho Marx, and others who inject humour into situations. The great Yogi Berra is a good one for humourous quotes.

      We do need to take action for any quote to help us, though. Nietzsche's quote is true for me because I took it to heart. It continues to help me.

      When I write, I always hope that my words can give comfort or offer strength or inspiration to someone, in some way. Isn't that why we write: to connect with others? How we deliver our message is how we connect and determines who we connect with.

      "To each their own." ~Marcus Tullius Cicero

      Delete
  2. I love quotes too, perhaps because I don't have any original thoughts. Then, do any of us? :-)

    One of my favourites: Everything comes to pass, nothing comes to stay. -Matthew Flickstein. That's applicable to all things in life, including our lives and the lives of those we love, two-legged and four.

    Another: While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. -Stephen Covey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if thoughts are original or not, but I do think we personalize the message in our own way. That is why some people connect and others may not.

      Thanks for these wise quotes, Kim. I always like your posts, because you are a thinker, too.

      Delete
  3. I love your quotes and it would be interesting to know other's thoughts on this. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last two are my favorites...no surprise there!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you weighed in on this, too. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Good quotes, all! Some days, i need to look up a couple to keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. guys...yur mom picked sum awesum quotes....inn deed & for sure...

    if we may; we wood like ta share one oh R fav o rites ...we wunder if ewe will bee surprized !!

    "The reason cats climb is so that they can look down on almost every other animal — it's also the reason they hate birds. " ~K.C. Buffington

    heerz two a frigate mackerull kinda week oh end ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I'm a quote person! These are wonderful too, and the photos are perfect with each one too! especially the "Be the change you wish to see in the world, what a great photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost picked you. In the future, I will ask you to do these kind of challenges, too. You have excellent quotes and pair them with equally awesome photos. I love your posts.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. Do you these kind of challenges?

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen. I love words, especially wise ones.

      Delete
  10. Good quotes. It is interesting to read what words inspire others. Thanks for including me in the challenge. I will get to it tomorrow or Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I knew you would play this challenging game!

      Delete
  11. LOVE this idea!! And I have a feeling that one from Ghandi will show up in my own post. So many to choose from.. I can literally think of a dozen right now.

    I got a busy weekend, but I definitely accept the challenge and will get to my own post by next week! thanks for sharing yours - all are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annie, you selected excellent quotes as I knew you would when I challenged you. You were the first person I thought of as I knew this would be something you would enjoy and put great thought into. Thanks for participating and being a friend. I owe you an e-mail and will try to write this next week. I have a big interview coming up on Monday, but am not sharing info about it until after it happens. Have a terrific weekend. Love to you and all the critter, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all great quotes. I like to add them to my posts every now and then, and song lyrics, too..which I think of as quotes in some ways. You can never go wrong with Gandhi!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of your choices are powerful, and transformative quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love them all and look forward to seeing future quotes
    Purrs and Prayers
    Timmy and Family

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do love quotes a lot. I see them quite a bit in my FB feed, not all of them ring with me, but that is o.k. Your quotes are wonderful and they speak of you.
    You know, Les now challenged me, so I better come up with some, too :)

    ReplyDelete