Thursday, October 8, 2015

Well, I Have Never…

The Coffee Chat topic this week is, “What have you never done, but would like to do now?” Whether we are going out of our comfort zone or finally finding comfort where we are, this is an interesting question. Please join us at Les’s blog Ink Interrupted

I am at the stage of my life where I have either done things that I wanted to do, or no longer want to do some of the things I thought I wanted to do. Along the way, there were many unplanned things that I did. However, I now know myself and try to choose wisely.

To be honest, I learned from everything that I did. There were usually reasons for many things that I did. With reasons, there are usually lessons, too. Things that I thought I wanted to do often evolved into something else.

I always wanted to be a nurse. Health and circumstances prevented that from happening when I had the opportunity. However, I did become a nurse for animals when I was a veterinary technician. I still use those skills in animal rescue. This is a good example about life changing us and consequently, what we do.

Along those lines, I have thought I would like to have Stella certified as a therapy dog. I know how beneficial pets are to my well-being. I know others feel this way, too. I have seen how therapy dogs can liven up nursing home residents. Many of these people have had pets. They miss that companionship, unconditional love and acceptance.

Stella could also visit places like assisted living facilities, hospitals, schools, and other groups. She could bring her positive energy to those who need it. She is a special dog, and we are very proud of her.

Stella did not have a good life before we adopted her. She was surrendered to a Sheltie Rescue when she was 2 ½ years old. When she came to us, she had no confidence and had never felt unconditional love. She did not even know how to play. As we worked with her and trained her, she blossomed. She realized that she could do things that would make others happy, and this made her very happy. Stella was inspired!

Stella is always calm, polite, and very approachable. She will sit at people’s feet and look up at them while they talk to her. She will shake hands with people she meets. Stella also has learned that she has a voice. She will “speak” only when asked to, or when it is absolutely necessary.  This is unusual for a Sheltie to learn at the age of three years. (Most Shelties start to use their voice while still tiny pups; getting them to stop can be most difficult!) 

Before Stella, I had never thought of doing animal therapy with people. She is five years old now. Watching Stella grow into herself, full of joy and life was amazing. Stella found love and comfort with us, and now she seeks to share these gifts with others. I am inspired to help her to do just that. 

~Stella~



Linked to:

21 comments:

  1. Stella is a gorgeous girl! The power of the relationship between animals and some people is undeniable....it's a brilliant idea.
    Hugs to you and Stella for contributing to the Nightingales Cause ...:) Lovely blog, McGuffy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~~~~waves two ewe stella.......itz nice ta see ewe two day...due ewe still think ewe wood like ta bee a therapeez pup !!?? that wood be way awesum....we say go for it .... never two late !!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She truly loves everyone and every species. She is such a sweet, good girl.

      Delete
    2. Adorable photo! I think Stella would make a fabulous therapy dog. I've seen them at work when I have visited older relatives in care facilities. Their faces light up as soon as they see one.

      Delete
  3. Having her train as a therapy dog sounds like a fabulous idea! Both of you would enjoy it, i'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stella is so very, very pretty! My Dad was lucky, he got to do most of what he wanted to do when he was younger, like a Beatles concert, Woodstock, and bunches of other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stella is an amazing dog and what a noble thing to do... training her to be a therapy dog. I'm sure she will make a wonderful therapy dog. Good luck with this new project Annie.
    Hugs to all of you.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful story about Stella. She glows outside with her healthy furs and inside with her loving heart. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stella is so very very special - I bet she would be a natural and bring such great joy to many!! Just like her special owners. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annie, I hope you will pursue this. It sounds like something Stella would be quite good at and give you both as well as others much pleasure. Hugs and love, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stella looks so much like my neighbor's dog, Rumor, who is a trained therapy dog. He is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stella is absolutely the sweetest dog I've ever met. So patient and calm. She'd be a fabulous therapy dog and the two of you would do great things helping people. She' be great as one of the dogs at the library for kids to read to with her sweet disposition.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful girl Stella is, inside and out. We hope the two of you do go ahead and work to get her certified as a therapy dog. :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely that Stella found her home and has blossomed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stella is a pretty girl. I think you should get her certified, she would bring joy to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Stella will make a wonderful therapy dog with you guiding her to the goal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Unfortunately I don't know Stella personally, but I love her. Such a sweet soul. I am sure she'd be a fantastic therapy dog. I am sure people would love her company. The two of you got very lucky to have found each other.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very thoughtful post. Stella is a wonderful girl, and being a quiet Sheltie is amazing! Dogs provide comfort in so many ways, I'm sure you'll be able to find the right fit for Stella, should that be the path you take with her. I don't know if all activities need certification but one interesting thing I've read about recently is dogs who sit with children who are learning to read. Some kids are more relaxed reading to a dog because the dog doesn't judge them for not knowing all the words.

    ReplyDelete