Friday, December 25, 2015

Merry Christmas!

The Twelve Days of Christmas
~with John Denver & The Muppets~

From 1558 until 1829, Roman Catholics in England were forced to practice their faith privately. This carol was written as a catechism song for young Catholics. It was symbolic so that children could identify with each "gift" and remember the meanings. 

The Twelve Days of Christmas and their symbols

1. The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ.
2. Two turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments.
3. Three French hens stood for faith, hope and love.
4. The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.
5. The five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law, the first five books of the Old Testament.
6. The six geese a-laying stood for the six days of creation.
7. Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.
8. The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes.
9. Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit-Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness,
 
Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self Control.
10. The ten lords a-leaping were the Ten Commandments.
11. The eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful disciples.
12. The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.  


~Merry Christmas~
I want to sincerely thank each of you. I have met some kindred spirits through blogging. I have also made some wonderful friendships here. You are each an important part of McGuffy's Reader. May you receive many blessings this Christmas season. May the Christmas spirit remain in your heart to bless you & your loved ones all year. Peace. 


~Originally shared 2013

15 comments:

  1. A blessed and beautiful Christmas to you and all whom you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and yours! I love John Denver and I love the Muppets!!! Peace to you also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting about the 12 Days of Christmas!

    Merry Christmas to you, Bill, and the fur kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was cool and we didn't know a lot of that. Merry Christmas from all of us at Brian's Home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. McGuffey Ann, Merry Christmas! I hope you, Bill, and all of your fur-babies have a blessed time celebrating the birth of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas from our house to yours.

    Cats of wildcat woods

    ReplyDelete
  7. We did not know that about the Twelve Days of Christmas. Thanks for sharing. And we hope you're having a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so interesting. I am Catholic and did not know this. I wish I were still teaching Catechism so I could share it. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The carol is much more interesting now. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas to all at your place from me and the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, that was interesting. Thank you for sharing the story with us. Merry Christmas dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas dear Annie. This is really interesting. I learned something new here this evening.

    Our family gathering just ended and it was just amazing. We had a super noisy but wonderful time, all 16 of us... Only my oldest daughter was missing and we all missed her very much. We all filled our bellies.

    I hope you had a wonderful Christmas too.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annie, I cannot believe that I never knew this about the 12 Days of Christmas. I was raised in the Catholic faith, but I never learned this. I am going to copy and save this. I hope your day was good. I stayed home with Fiona while Tom went to the Rescue Mission for the day. I couldn't leave her for the six hours. Sending you lots of love, your friend, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE learning things like this! Gives you a whole new appreciation for a thing. Hope your holidays have been blessed!

    ReplyDelete