Wednesday, March 9, 2016

A Revealing Game

It is time for the weekly Coffee Chat. I am actually late this week, as yesterday was Stella's birthday. Coffee Chats just are not her style. This week, Ms. Rory Bore has invited us to play the game "Have You Ever". Good grief. I will be honest, though perhaps not very exciting. Here goes...

Have you ever

1.   Got lost in an amusement park? No, I have not. However, I recall going to the Illinois State Fair as a young child. I was five, and my older brother was seven. He wandered away and got lost. My mother was livid, as he tended to do this sort of thing often.

2.   Shared a meal with your pet. Drive thru acceptable. 
Well, yes. But this is a very rare occurrence. It is usually Bill’s fault, though.

3.   Scuba dived in the ocean.
Well, no. I can guarantee, this will not happen, as I cannot swim. I sure wish I could, though!

4.  Saved someone who was in danger.
 Yes, I have, more than once.  


5.   Sang karaoke.  (before alcohol, 2 bonus points)
No, never. No one wants that, not even my cats.

6.   Seen a pyramid.  (1 point for each step climbed)
No, I have never visited a real one, though I would love to visit one. I would need to research it first, however. There is a golden pyramid (house) here, in Illinois. If that counts, then, Yes, I have seen a pyramid.

7.    Went camping in a tent. I have done this, quite often as a pre-teen and teen.


8.   Won a contest for a big prize.  (no, toys in Happy Meals don't count)
I won some poetry contests when the Internet was just starting out. In fact, one win was pretty big in status, though not in monetary winnings.

9.   Eaten a strange food.   Broccoli is not a strange food.
Yes. I have eaten okra and eggplant and hominy. It was strange for a kid from Chicago, back in the 1960s! Okay, I also ate armadillo (back then), though I cried when I was told that’s what it was. I thought it was a really dirty trick to have me eat a critter that I loved.

10.   Pulled a prank you were later sorry about.
Yes. I was a notorious prankster as a youth, though it was always harmless. There was one time that it could have hurt someone, and I was so very sorry. I learned a valuable lesson to be more careful though I still was a prankster.

11.  Went on an African Safari.
Well, no, not a real one, anyway. I really would rather see more American wildlife, anyway. I would love to go whale watching off the coast of Alaska or take a nature cruise down the Mississippi River. There is so much to see right here.

12.   Met a celebrity (TV, Movie, Music, Sports, Arts)
Though he is more than a celebrity, I
met President Ford when I was in ROTC. He came to a local high school. We helped with seating, crowd control. Also, many years ago, I had the honour of talking to the Native American Sioux activists 
Leonard Crow Dog and Mary Brave Bird on the telephone. Obviously, they are/were far more than celebrities, though they are well known people.


13.  Been on TV or the radio. In ROTC, we presented colours for the Chicago Bull’s games. I have managed to stay out of the limelight.


14.   Been in a fight.
 
Oh, good grief. As an adult, I have chosen a lifestyle unlike the one I was raised in.

15.   Fallen asleep while talking on the phone.
No, though I am not a fan of chatting for long periods of time on the phone.  I will admit, however, that as a youth I talked on the phone for very long periods of time.


Okay, your turn! Please join us. Ms. Rory Bore always has coffee on. *wink*



Joining in with:

16 comments:

  1. My cats don't want me singing, either. My assistance to the church choir is by staying away from it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good questions. I was thinking about the fight- fisticuffs, only with my brother and sister, but verbal- many when I was younger and one or two when older and I regretted each and every one- always feeling just horrible for letting my mouth overflow. Come to think of it- I regret the push-pull fights with my brother, also. I would give anything if I had been kinder to him for the short time he was with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Except for camping...nothing, I think...a very insignificant life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers Annie. I never got lost in a park but I have a very bad sense of direction. I ate all kind of ethnic food but I wouldn't call it strange.I did Halloween prank like plugging a drain pipe once with a bunch of kids.

    My husband was in politic for a while and we were invited to a political gathering at a riverside lodge. I sat at a picnic table to eat and our then Prime minister Jean Cretien's wife, Aline came to sit with me and we chatted informally and she was such a down to earth person.
    I sang solo at our new church dedication and sang in front of our Premier
    Frank McKenna and a whole bunch of dignitaries.
    I've been on TV and newspapers and radio and international news when we had a set of triplet female calves born. I also was on the radio as a guest to talk about compost and my husband was there too.

    Take care.
    Hugs
    Julia
    That's the extent of my TV and Radio career, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, those were fun to read! My Dad was 12 out 15 but I'm not sure if that was good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew that you had probably saved someone in danger! Also, not surprised at all you won a poetry contest :)
    But a prankster? LOL - love it. Me too - when I was much younger. None I regret though - we were pretty careful about it.
    Happy Birthday Stella!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a dull ditz. I answered no to all except about sharing a meal with a pet and meeting a celebrity. I always share with the boys and I met Jim Sonefeld "Soni" of Hootie and the Blowfish. Sold him
    furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to learn more about you. I am not surprised that you won contests for your poetry, you are an excellent writer. Thank you for your words of encouragement about Spooky. XO and love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are very interesting questions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. M here. Those were interesting questions - good ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These were fun to read! And love the photo below.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's a tendency to think only the "yes" answers are revealing, but the "nos" are just as revealing. Reminds me of a Martina McBride song, "All the things we've never done". I think I'll go listen to that now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's not often you run across armadillos twice in one evening. Later this evening, I saw this article .

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great set of questions there, although some of them did make me feel I've seen so little of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Annie, very interesting as to who you were and who you are now. Thanks for sharing with all of us. I used to get lost in the grocery store all the time when I was a kid. I wouldn't sing Karaoke if my life depended on it. I have been to the pyramids in Egypt. I have met Tom Selleck and Willard Scott and Gary Puckett and the Lennon Sisters. (Wow, I am really aging myself now.) Just thought I'd share a few things with you. Sending lots of love and hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete