Thursday, March 31, 2016

The A-Z Challenge


Tomorrow, April 1st, is the first day of the Blogging from A-Z Challenge. This is my first year as a participant. April is also National Poetry Month. Each day in April, I will post a poem for the letter of the alphabet of that day, according to the challenge. Sundays will be a free day for the challenge, with no A-Z posting.

This month, I look forward to sharing poems that have meant something to me. My deep connection to poetry began in eighth grade. Mrs. Turner, my English teacher, assigned a poetry project for one term. We were to collect at least twenty-five poems. We could write some of them, but not all. I compiled fifty poems into an elaborate binder; ten poems were my own. 

It was then that I fell in love with Langston Hughes and Gwendolyn Brooks. I also became acquainted with Robert Frost and others. I realized that I already loved the poetry of Shel Silverstein, Dr. Seuss, and other children’s poets. I had always loved poetry and words. These poets wrote their feelings and thoughts, but I realized that they also said what I felt.

As a kid from a difficult childhood, this was very empowering for me. I learned I could write my own words, feelings, and observations. Perhaps I could somehow be the voice for others, too. I could connect to others in a meaningful way.

Words are powerful tools, conveying the full spectrum of feelings, experiences, and observations. They carry us through life, connecting us to the world. I hope that you will enjoy the poems that I share with you. I hope they will speak to you in some way. Perhaps you will be inspired to read a poetry book or to even write a poem. 

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, McGuffy Ann! Your words so often DO move us, and we are looking forward to the poems you share with us during the A-Z Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie, I've been running behind because I go to bed earlier lately. It's quite a lot of work to do the A to Z Challenge. Good luck with this.
    As a matter of fact, I have posted a little poem of my own on my blog about God is Busy. Something I wrote on night in bed after a little reflection on my own busyness.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good poetry speaks to the heart and soul, and you are a master poet, Annie! I am eager to read more of your work here, and to see if we share some favorites among the work of other poets too. Welcome to the A-Z, it's challenging and it's fun!
    Josie Two Shoes
    from Josie's Journal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am HOPING to see some of YOUR work here ~~~~~~~ hint...hint !! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we will see what I can come up with. *wink*

      Delete
  5. I think you know I love poetry and have since I was in elementary school. I wrote poetry everyday for many years and have had several poems published. I wish I had more time to write it now. As you know, it is very cathartic. I'm looking forward to following your challenge. Love and hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have already read a few of the posts and I am loving the poetry. It's always good to discover new poets that inspire and change or even challenge our world view. The first for me was Robert Louis Stevenson. He had a child's book of verses and I still have that book and read to my own children now. Then, Robert Frost and Wordsworth because I loved Nature so much.

    ReplyDelete