Wednesday, April 6, 2016

English Prairie

Covered in weeds, barren of flowers,
fields abound, an old tree towers.
In grass here, long and overgrown,
lie memories wasted, and lives unknown.
Faded stones can’t recall a name;
unspoken lives time will reclaim.
Some lived long though some died young,
some dreams fulfilled, some songs unsung.
They remain on the prairie in eternal sleep;
the weather-worn graves, their stories to keep. 

~McGuffy Ann Morris

In the 1800's, the area near where I live was called The English Prairie. In the heart of that prairie, there is a cemetery that holds many of those who settled the area. These brave souls are forgotten and unknown today. Exploring the sacred grounds, I read their memorial stones and reflected on their lives and sacrifices. This is for them. 

Please read my Challenge Reveal Post for insight on the poetry that I chose to share here.



9 comments:

  1. I love old cemeteries. I'm glad someone else does too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the old cemeteries. The history there is rich. There are a few farm cemeteries in the area, too. They are all 175 years old or so. It is amazing to read the stones (when possible). They tell tales.

      Delete
  2. Cemetery are full of history and untold stories. It saddens me to see some neglected. I suppose it doesn't matter to the dead buried there as they are in a peaceful place I hope. I like reading names on the plaques. Soon it will be our turn to enter there not on our own power.
    Have a beautiful day.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute to those souls long since passed over! I also love old cemeteries, and I think it's lovely that you visit this one to remember those who once lived out their lives there. As always, your poetry is superbly done.
    Josie Two Shoes from Josie's Journal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa. My computer screen just jumped and seems to have lost what I typed. Hope I'm not repeating myself. At any rate, this is lovely. How nice of you to honor those who came before. It gave me chills, honestly.
    Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
    I’m still having fun with my little focus on music this month. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie, you can bet as the sun shall always rise, that those buried there, appreciate these words you wrote; more than you know ......awesome poem today ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are the names still on the stones of the cemetery you visit or have they worn away? We have a cemetery a few miles away that I used to like to explore. Four small towns were removed to build Quabbin Reservoir so all the graves were moved to this one cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Old cemeteries are amazing. Sweetie found one when mapping for the Army Corps of Engineers, and cleared it and made sure it's on the map. We looked the people up and made sure their burial place is registered properly so any descendents who try to look up their ancestry can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully done. Old cemeteries are so interesting. Hugs and love, Janet

    ReplyDelete