Tuesday, April 19, 2016

In Praise

I like the sound
of old women
marching to church,
or crackling grocery bags,
or eating stewed prunes,
and sugar on tomatoes.

I like the sound
of old women
talking
loudly to old men,
softly to newborns,
gently to young marrieds,
planning lives and death.

I like the sound
of old women
snoring,
old women
clicking teeth,
old women
praying.

I like the sound
of old women
raucously in love.
I like the sound
of old women
roistering in helpless
rollicking fun. 

~Mary Sue Koeppel

I have always loved the elderly. As a teen, I worked with the elderly in nursing homes. I was able to get to know and understand the honesty of their wisdom. This poem reflects some of their contentment. Old women have been through life’s trials. They know themselves and have become comfortable in their own skin. They are genuine; their joy is earned. This is the kind of old woman that I want to be. 

Please read my Challenge Reveal Post for insight on the poetry that I chose to share here.


20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am glad you like this one, shortybear. I do, too.

      Delete
  2. Yes, that's how age should be, comfortable and full of fun and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touching. We need more who like them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice. I really like this.
    Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
    I hope you are having a day as lovely as what I’m enjoying on my back porch this fine Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, I am glad you like this one! I thought you might.

      Delete
  5. I am an old woman now, and I hope in some ways I am like this! Becoming comfortable in your own, somewhat wrinkly skin is the very best part! :-) This is a lovely poem, Annie.
    Josie Two Shoes
    from Josie's Journal

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do enjoy reading your poems. You have a lovely way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. like Weezer; my grandma, my mom, my sister, my aunt, my best friend......for ever ~~~~~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is soooo beautiful! I love older people, too! Especially older men in flannel shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We liked that one too...seniors rock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Older women really have earned their place. Lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am an old woman now. I don't feel different, with my age, I suppose, except I am more creaky. I like the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This reminds me so much of my mom and my aunts - 7 sisters!! And it's amazing when they are all together. Now, they are not exactly "old" just yet, but getting close, and they have all the wisdom, joy and know how to get it done of life that I can just spend hours soaking up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too like old women. I loved spending hours and hours talking to my stepmother and doing things with her. I guess I am getting darn close to being elderly myself. Hope younger people will enjoy spending time with me. Hugs and love, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  14. As an old(er) woman I can relate to this except my teeth don't click.

    ReplyDelete