Friday, April 15, 2016

Median

Who am I if not a reflection
of the past--- an image
created by the choices
of those before me,
an illusion of what others
perceive me to be.
Knowledge comes with
the wisdom of age.
Reflections fade into shadows.
What I once was has faded;
what I am yet to be becomes clear.
I did not choose to be here,
to be a part of this.
Forever now will I be both 
reflection and shadow. 

~McGuffy Ann Morris, Weeds

I think many people can identify with this poem and its observations. In youth, though you set out to change the world, it is the world that changes you.  Yet, you always remain yourself.

 "Median" won a competition in a literary magazine several years ago. This poem was also a special request as today's offering for the letter M. (Thank you, my friend.)

Please read my Challenge Reveal Post for insight on the poetry that I chose to share here. 

           

&


            
                 

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful... and wise! You are so right that it is life that changes us, in ways we never would have imagined - but the blessings far outweigh the sorrows. Your poetry is excellent, Annie, always food for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is both the joy and the sorrow that shape us. Thanks, Josie.

      Delete
  2. The twists and turns of life indeed shape our passage. Guess we can only go where the river takes us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the world changes us, but we also influence it, even if only our corner, and only a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another excellent and thoughtful poem, Annie. I am so enjoying reading your poems. I usually can relate to them quite easily. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it- you never fail to amaze me with your talent! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm still struggling to figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. didnt think I was EVER going to get here today; the really nice thing about Median, I can re read it as many times as I want when I open: WEEDS ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ to you Annie ~~~~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  8. That really was on point, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reflection and shadow...very wise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am beyond impressed with your talent. You truly should be a famous poet. This is one of my favorites. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a wonderful poem, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear, I think I entered another short comment by accident. Anyway I really enjoyed your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great poem and absolutely deserving of an award. I definitely hope that I retain that sense of self, that special thing that is "me" after all my journey in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I can relate - even though I do not see myself as weed - hahaha - then again, there are very beautiful 'weeds' :)
    Gorgeous poem, well deserving the award in the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can see why it won. Amazing content and observation.

    ReplyDelete