Saturday, April 16, 2016

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, 
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

~Robert Frost

This classic poem is one of the very first poems that I read for eighth-grade English class. I was impressed with how profound and succinct this poem is. It spoke to me immediately, and is still a favourite. Beautiful in its simplicity and wisdom, we are reminded how fragile and fleeting the innocence of youth really is. 

Please read my Challenge Reveal Post for insight on the poetry that I chose to share here. 


21 comments:

  1. It's been such a long time since I've seen that poem, Ann. Lovely. And your Gibran post really took me back. True "gold."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sharing poetry that has means something to me. I love it when others feel this way, too.

      Delete
  2. You are posting beautiful gems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the works of Robert Frost, they all contain such wonderful imagery, including this one!
    Josie
    from Josie's Journal

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great poem. I hadn't seen that in years and years. Thank you for posting it. What a beautiful but sad thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we realize it when we are young. The poets try to tell us.

      Delete
  5. You have such a gift for writing poetry and for understanding it. Every time you write that you first read something in school and it moved you, I am in awe. I always did well in school, but I somehow missed all this beautiful poetry. The only one I remember is in 4th grade we had to memorize a Robert Frost poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, you are so nice to say this. I love poetry. I hope it shows.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, you are my heart!!! I was just reciting this as I finally sat down in my newly clean lawn chair after spring cleaning the yard -- and watched the birds tweet and twittering about. The sun just going down behind our big now budding maple tree in a burst of gold. It felt so good to finally feel warmth. Love this one - always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frost is one of my favorite poets! Thanks for choosing such a wonderful poem to share today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had a greater appreciation for poetry but it just doesn't connect with my analytical brain.

    ReplyDelete