Thursday, April 14, 2016

On Love

When love beckons to you, follow him,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
And when his wings enfold you yield to him,
Though the sword hidden among his pinions 
may wound you.
And when he speaks to you believe in him,
Though his voice may shatter your dreams
as the north wind lays waste the garden. 

Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.
But if you love and must needs have desires, 
let these be your desires:
To melt and be like a running brook 
that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart 
and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate love's ecstasy;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved 
in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.

~by Kahlil Gibran, this is an excerpt of the poem, "On Love", from his book The Prophet 

I was fifteen when I first read the book The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran. The depth of emotion and the beauty of his writing touched me then and still touches me today. This book of prose poetry discusses many aspects of life, each in its own chapter. The Prophet is timeless.


Please read my Challenge Reveal Post for insight on the poetry that I chose to share here. 



20 comments:

  1. A deep poem on love, I feels God's hand in this.
    Beautiful.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, this is only part of his chapter "On Love". I highly recommend "The Prophet". Gibran's wisdom is remarkable. I cherish this book and think you would, too.

      Delete
  2. So young for such reading. I was just getting into the "Theives' World" series at that age. ~grin~ Be well.
    Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
    And happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I like about the A to Z challenge, you find such good blogs. I like your dogs and cats. I also have a Dude. He is a 16 pound chihuahua mix. Not as cool as a cat but he tries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! Welcome. Your Dude sounds cute, too.

      Delete
  4. I am going to see if the library has this book, I love this poem. It amazes me how young you were when you discovered this book and understood it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an amazing book. The sketches are beautiful, as well. I have given many copies as gifts over the years. And, I still have my original copy, too.

      Delete
  5. Now i want to go get my copy of The Prophet down off the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go get it, Mimi. You will be glad that you did.

      Delete
  6. Yep, impressive at 15! At 15 my Dad was in a wacky band rockin' not readin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's good, too! Bill was in a rock band back then, too. Actually, he still rocks!

      Delete
  7. I recognized this as Kahlil Gibran's writing from the very first lines! I was given my first copy of The Prophet at 16 and at a very difficult time in my life. His words meant a great deal to me then, and they do to me now... so much wisdom! This is truly how love should be, and we both know it can be!
    Josie Two Shoes
    from Josie's Journal

    ReplyDelete
  8. "to know the pain of too much tenderness" is one of my all time favourite lines! His language is so beautiful. I just love every aspect of how he describes Love in this piece. A great selection to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent choice for your L challenge. Kahlil Gibran is timeless. Hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  10. i loved that book. Wasn't there a song connected to it too?

    ReplyDelete