Friday, April 22, 2016

Scrap Box

A baby book, a first pair of shoes—
a set of keys? —don’t know whose.
A ribbon, and a lock of hair,
an old worn out teddy bear.
A dog tag, and a school I.D.,
an elastic bandage for a sore knee.
A Math test, and good report card
(that Math class was really hard!).
A photograph, a Valentine,
both from friends, old loves of mine.
A ticket stub, a broken pin,
an empty, dented candy tin.
A map and journals from vacations and trips,
a chain of coloured paperclips.
An announcement and an invitation,
a letter explaining a situation.
A box of moments, a patent dateline.
My heart remembers these moments are mine.

~McGuffy Ann Morris

As we go through life, we tend to collect souvenirs of our journey. It usually begins with our parents marking our early milestones. As we experience life, we add our own mementos as tangible reminders that this is our personal journey. While these items may have no monetary value, they represent moments that are priceless.

Please read my Challenge Reveal Post for insight on the poetry that I chose to share here.



&


8 comments:

  1. Lovely post and so very true.

    Mason
    Alex's Ninja Minion

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sweet treasure within this read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all have so much meaning that i sometimes don't know where to draw the line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. Memories... I wished I had journaled on a regular basis all my life. I think I may have made it into a book by now. But now, all there is are memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this very much! It's so well written that it conveys the verse conveys well the nostalgic tone of piece. We do collect mementoes of our lives, both tangible ones and memories in our hearts too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Part of my brother's mental illness caused him to have very few childhood and teen memories in the scrap box of his mind. That breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so wonderful!!! When I was a young girl, my mom had a local woodcraftsman make a cedar lined hope chest for me. I put all my "treaures" in there: almost every thing you mention in the poem, I probably had that keepsake. I still have some of the most special things - in a new grown up box - and I have passed the hope chest on to my girls. It now holds their little memories and keepsakes. Lots of rocks. Like... wow, what's with the rocks? Well, it's special to them right? And that's the point. :)

    ReplyDelete