Saturday, April 23, 2016

This is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold 

~William Carlos Williams

This is classic poem has been analyzed many times, by a wide variety of literary masters. However, as a young teen, this spoke to me succinctly and beautifully. Quite simply, I think it speaks of life and living. Be thankful for the even the little things in life; there is joy there.

Please read my Challenge Reveal Post for insight on the poetry that I chose to share here.


13 comments:

  1. Be grateful there are probably more plums to be found at the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They speak to me as well, yummy! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that. Thank you. And Brian's comment made me laugh.
    Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
    It looks like I will have intermittent Internet access soon, so forgive me if I don’t stop by as often. I’ll try to maximize whatever time is allowed. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is new to me, though I have heard of the author. I like it very much! Short and sweet and to the point in such a refreshing way! Like you, I enjoy the appreciation for small simple things and pleasures. Fresh plums... delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The little things are usually the most important. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes ya just gotta go for the sweet plums in life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember this poem well. I could always picture those plums being eaten with juice running down the chin of the one eating them as they were thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks for the memory. Love and hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. This made me laugh! With enjoyment. My first reading of it.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Busted! Hehehe.


    Thanks for visiting Heart of a Ready Writer - and happy A to Z.

    Here's another site you might like: Kicking MS to the Curb

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how he does his poetry - simple yes, but underneath I feel like it's also maybe commenting a little bit about temptation. Giving in to impulses, or why save a something good when you can have it now! ha. Perhaps not so much in the "naughty" sense, but rather: don't hold onto to things for "later" that might never come. Bite into life and savour it now while it's fresh! :)

    ReplyDelete