Monday, April 25, 2016

Unfolding Bud

One is amazed
By a water-lily bud
Unfolding
With each passing day,
Taking on a richer color
And new dimensions.

One is not amazed,
At first glance,
By a poem,
Which is tight-closed
As a tiny bud.

Yet one is surprised
To see the poem
Gradually unfolding,
Revealing its rich inner self
As one reads it
Again
And over again.

~Naoshi Koriyama

I love that poetry is intimate and personal, yet so universal. Poetry speaks across languages and cultures. It speaks to the very human experience. I speak back, and I also listen. 

Please read my Challenge Reveal Post for insight on the poetry that I chose to share here.



10 comments:

  1. I think one also can be surprised at the gradual unfolding of a Being's spirit too, revealing a rich inner self.

    Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many forms of art do not reveal themselves at first glance. They are waiting for someone to look a little deeper, to be serious about searching out the meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful thinking about buds and poetry unfolding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true, on first reading we don't always grasp the full meaning a poem holds for us, and I've found that when I re-read my favorite poems years later there is a richness that I never realized! This is a beautiful poem in itself, Annie, thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang it, you pulled me into reading a poem again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poetry slows me down so I take time to ponder. Sort of like daydreaming but with discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice for U, you are doing an excellent job with the a-z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh love this one!!! I will have to check out more work by this poet. Love how it all turns and reveals itself so sweetly.

    ReplyDelete