Thursday, April 28, 2016

X

marks the spot…
where I buried the excised detritus
of a relationship that explored
the very depths of exalted love.

I never considered exceeding expectations,
though I exhausted all extenuating possibilities.
After careful examination of your exhibition,
I am exonerated. No explanation is needed.

I will not further excavate my heart and soul;
I will not exhume extraneous vestige.
Extinguished, heart in exodus, it leaves
only a final example of abdication.

Yet, I know that love exists.  

~McGuffy Ann Morris

Poems that have the letter X in the title are difficult to find. I had no favourite “X” poems. So, I wrote this poem especially for this challenge. With that being said, this poem is extremely meaningful to me because of the content that I have expressed. It is my hope that it speaks to others who may read it and connect with these heartfelt feelings. 

Please read my Challenge Reveal Post for insight on the poetry that I chose to share here. 


26 comments:

  1. I love this poem and am also quite impressed as I imagine X is not an easy letter to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did extremely well crafting your own X poem. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem revealing deep feelings. Nice. @sheilamgood at Cow Pasture Chronicles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Strayer, I am really happy that you liked this one. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Xcellent! Bravo, Annie! You took a very difficult letter and turned it into a wonderful poem filled with the wisdom of experience. Yes, I can relate to this very well. And yes, love exists, when we find love that is real! I really liked this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Josie. There is more than one kind of love, just as there is more than one kind of pain.

      Delete
  6. I think everyone can relate to this poem-Xcellent :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always very pleased when someone says they can relate or identify with my writing, especially when they say they couldn't put it into words.

      Delete
  7. Very well done! There is only so much you can do in any situation, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annie; this is eXcellent; though I confess to needing to use google "word definition" for a few of the words... :)...and then...it made sense, and I could relate ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am not surprised you can relate. I also believe we learn something new every day! Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Holy cow. Well done!! And there were x's galore in there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another poem to which I can relate. Your writing is exceptional always. Sending you lots of love and hope that you are recovering quickly from your fall. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now we know where X marks the spot!

    ReplyDelete