Monday, May 23, 2016

A Turtle Celebration

You may remember last year when Bill was driving through the flood plains of Oklahoma and Texas. He rescued turtles that were lost or displaced. I shared a couple of them, Kiowa and McQueeny , here at McGuffy’s Reader. 

A few weeks ago, Bill was riding his bike when he came upon a tiny baby turtle about the size of a quarter. He just happened to look down and see it as it was on its journey to the lake. Apparently it had hatched in a nearby pond, which was almost dried up. Nature took its course, directly the little turtle to the lake.

Bill wrapped it in his bandana and continued on his ride. On his way to the release, he stopped by the house to show me his new friend. We then walked down to the bog, near the northern edge of the lake. Bill was so excited to have saved such a wee one that no pictures were taken. The release was a success, however.

As we were driving home a couple of weeks ago, another turtle was moving towards open water. Unfortunately, she was crossing roads in her search. Bill stopped the car, running to her rescue. We then parked safely at home and carried her down to the bog. Here she is, as she waits for us to leave her to her business.

Safe at the water's edge.

Thanks, Bill!

Please remember to be careful when you are out and about. You share the world with many others, including animals. Critters are often on the move, both day and night. They may be looking for food or perhaps just better living conditions. Sometimes they need a helping hand to get to where they are going.

In celebration of World Turtle Day, I would like to recall my post for World Turtle Day 2012 . Of course, turtles deserve respect and recognition every day; all critters do!

Happy World Turtle Day 2016!

20 comments:

  1. That's wonderful! My Dad has save many a turtle from quite a few places too. Way to go Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that turtles are cute. I have seen quite a few recently along the sides of the road and some make my heart stop because they are right in the middle of the road. I saw some on a tree branch hanging over a lake a week or so ago, a long line of them. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera or phone with me. How cool that Bill saw one so small!

    Have a blessed evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember you writing about Bill helping the turtles because I recall thinking he sounds like a sweet man. I will go read your 2012 post about turtles. We had 2 for over 10 years, but they both passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Thank you, Bill! And thank you, McGuffy Ann, for the reminder about keeping an eye out for our animal friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful this is! I love that Bill, like you, is so caring and protective of God's creatures. Blessings to the man who will stop for a tiny turtle, to make sure it gets safely to it's new home! You two were so clearly meant to be together, I suspect there is going to be large crowd of critters waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge someday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. There have been many times i've stopped to rescue a turtle from the roads. Turtles are wonderful creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy you helped the turtles but of course that is something I knew you both would do. We always help the turtles on the road if we can.
    Good Morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bill has a good heart. At least these two stand a chance to make it to adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww. It's also important to watch for them on roads. They can sometimes look like they aren't turtles and people run over them. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. guys...high paws two yur mom & dad N God's blessings.....it bee total lee awesum oh them ta help out de wee turtlez.....N we sended R selves bak in time fora few & red what yur mom posted....we troo lee dinna noe turtlez had been round that long....kewl post ! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a three mile stretch of road near our beach that is a turtle crossing...I watch it closely when we are on it! Yeah, Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it when people are kind and gentle with all God's creatures, although I'll have to admit i like turtles better than Wisconsin summertime mosquitos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is truly the middle aged trucker Ninja turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah! Thank you Bill for tending to even the smallest of God's creatures. We always stop to rescue turtles on our journeys. We even attended a special class that taught us how to do it safely and correctly. I have a small shovel in the trunk of my car now, in case we come across one too big to lift by the shell.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't know what happened to my comment that is half finished. Anyway, bless you and Bill for trying to save turtles. What a kind thing to do. We don't see many in the city, but then we don't live by any ponds or water either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. McGuffy Ann, who doesn't love turtles? I mean, I really LOVE them. The problem is they are super fatting! In fact, we bought one today and it was mmm good. Oh wait, that wasn't the kind of turtles you're talking about is it? lol I couldn't resist, especially after DH spurred me on after I asked him had he heard of a World Turtle Day. I think it was 2012 when DS was still at home, he found a tiny turtle in our yard. I have no idea what it was doing out there because we don't have a creek or pond near our home. It was the cutest thing, too. It got all nervous being transported around and it peed on my floor. I guess if I had understood turtle talk then I might have gotten him back outside in time.:) That's really nice how Bill helped this little guy out by placing him in a better suited home. Thanks for sharing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bless you and your husband for caring enough to rescue these turtles. I saw a lot of them a couple of days ago, thankfully protected and sunning themselves in a large pond.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am thrilled if I can help a turtle cross the road. To find a baby like that and be able to help it..oh, that would make the rest of my year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hooray for Bill and yourself for the wonderful turtle rescues.

    ReplyDelete