Friday, August 26, 2016

Friendly Fill-ins: Week 16


Welcome to "Friendly Fill-Ins"! You can find the fill-ins here or at 15andmeowing.com each Thursday. The first two fill-ins are provided by my co-host, Ellen. The final two statements are offered by myself. We have posted a link so we can all share the completed fill-ins.

We thank you for joining us each week. Your participation is very important. Sharing with you and getting to know you better through your answers is what it is all about. Please remember to visit everyone on the list. I promise to visit everyone, too. I always read posts on Friday, but I check back, too. I comment as soon as I am able. Thank you for being a part of Friendly Fill-Ins. We couldn't do this without you.

Here are my completed fill-ins for this week:

1. I wish schools would bring back civics classes. These classes taught the rights and duties of Americans, and how to actually be a good citizen. Neighbors were closer then. People cared and checked on each other. We need to get that way of life back.
2. An act of kindness that I do often is something that no one witnesses. I make the sign of the cross when I see a funeral, as a prayer for the departed, as well as those who mourn. I feel it is both respect and compassion. On trash pick-up day, I often take in neighbor’s trash cans from the road. But there are things that are witnessed, too. I always hold doors open for others and let others go first in waiting lines. Whenever I see an elderly person carrying something, I offer to help. I try to always think of others and their feelings.

3.  I still have books from my childhood. “Arty the Smarty” was a favourite. I also still have “Colours, Colours All Around”, and “My Teddy Bear”. Others were lost along the way, but these are still with me. They mark certain memories and hold the feelings that I held then.

4. If I didn’t have critters, I’d be completely lost. Critters got me through a very painful, difficult childhood. They are an integral part of who I am. I truly feel it is a God-given connection. I am thankful for them and their unconditional love, and for the opportunity to return it.


"Kindness comes in many forms, 
but always from the heart."
                                                         ~author unknown


~Now, it's your turn to share. Please link up with us here. ~

24 comments:

  1. A life without our pets would be a sad life indeed. Like me, you try to do kindnessess when no one can see, "not letting the left hand know what the right hand is doing." It's a joyful thing, to do a kindness that way.
    We still have a lot of my childhood books, too, and i read them to my children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love the quote about compassion! Beautiful and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful answers. You and I sound very much alike. Your #4 rings very true for me as well, and I was so close to putting that as my answer as well. Thank you so much for hosting this! It makes Fridays such an extra special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish Levi's would bring back their "real" jeans without all that stretch stuff in them.
    An act of kindness that we do often is to spend time at our local shelter to socialize, PLAY with the kittens and cats.
    I still have a teddy from my childhood. He will be 65 next month just like me.
    If I didn't have a sense of humor, I would be completely lost.

    Thanks Annie! I have old books too... I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your answers, I always do. I graduated in 1987 and we did not have Civics classes, I agree we should have them. It is sad that so many don't know how to treat others. Your acts of kindness are exactly what I would expect from you because you are such a kind person. I remember Arty the Smarty :)
    We may rescue our critters, but they rescue us right back. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your answers! Kindness and compassion are so important, and we can show others that kindness and compassion in so many ways if we look for them. I, too, would be lost without my critters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great answers! I, too, would love to see our educational system take a step backward to the older topics, etc. It seems like since 'no child left behind' began things have gotten worse - instead of teaching kids how to think, the focus is now on passing tests; instead of challenging bright children, lessons are now geared low, which bores the bright ones.
    I don't know how to fix our educational system, but I hope it does get repaired - and yes, civics gets put back in, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great answers! Mom still has her Little Golden Books from when she was a kitten!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with you on #1 and #2, people have forgotten how to be good neighbors and friends, and how to be courteous to strangers, like holding doors and offering assistance.

    Your #3 has me thinking back to some of the childhood books I loved and some of the ones my kids did. I had them memorized from reading them so often! :-)

    You are right that animals are precious gifts, they comfort, entertain, protect, and love us - and we should all do that in return, just as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Annie, thinking of others is a very kind act. People aren't as kind and caring as they once were, so it's refreshing to see someone who still does random acts of kindness. Thanks for hosting the Friday fun, my friend. I hope you're feeling better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You seem like a most compassionate and understanding person, Annie. I would like to pop in for a cup of tea someday. It might be a long way to go but hey, a cuppa tea is worth it with a fun person.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful answers! Agree with bringing back civic classes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm finally home in time to do some fill ins!! It was a lovely vacation, but it's lovely to be back home... and catching up with my favourite blogs too.
    The best kindness is when you do something for someone who cannot give you anything back. Those unseen acts go a long way towards making our world a friendlier and peaceful place. We need more people like you my friend!
    I'll be back to link up once I wrangle some laundry and the rugrats! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great answers! I forgot I have some of my favorite books from childhood, too. I treasure them! :) You and I are very much alike with #2 - I always put others before myself, it's just who I am. And yes! I would be lost without my furbabies, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great answers! Civics classes would sure be helpful these days!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great answers Annie !!! Civics class will need ta be an advanced class I fear, for the mess society is in, in this day and age ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. The quote from Mother Theresa is a wonderful thought. I wish more people felt that way. There is so much meanness out there towards people and little humans, too. I know the things you do make a difference to someone out there. You are a blessing, Annie. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the kitty pretending to be Wilson from Home Improvement. But the kitty hugging its toy almost made me lose it. That is how Xerxes used to do when he got his toys. He also took them to the food and water dishes to make sure they got food or water.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Annie, I know I wrote you a comment, but it isn't here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed reading your answers. The creatures God placed on this earth with us are also part of his wonderful creation. It is our God given responsibility (and should be our pleasure) to be good stewards of God's earth and his creatures. They are such a blessing in our lives, another example of God's loving kindness and generosity to us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't like civics class and was very glad when it was over and done with but do think it is an important part of education.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome answers, as always, Annie. I especially love the ones you listed for numbers two and four.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great answers. You're a wonderful person Annie.Answers first and second are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete