Wednesday, September 21, 2016

International Day of Peace

"Turn from evil and do good; 
seek peace and pursue it."
                                                   ~Psalm 34:14

Originally celebrated in 1982, the International Day of Peace is still observed worldwide. The day is considered one of peace and global ceasefire.

Each year the "Peace Bell" is rung at the UN in New York City to memorialize the unity of peace. The bell, a gift from Japan, is a reminder of the human cost of war. It is made of coins donated by children throughout the world. "Long live absolute world peace" is inscribed on the bell.

Peace on Earth, indeed. 

10 comments:

  1. Admire your sentiments about world peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We pray for peace each day, and do not give up hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And in despair I bowed my head, there is no peace on earth I said..." and yet, I still believe that Peace is possible, that if we truly all worked together it could happen. What a wonderful world that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'd heard about this bell. If only everyday could be a day of peace. The hate, terrorism and unrest is wearing me down. And I am becoming more and more fearful of going places where there are large numbers of people gathering. Sad. Wishing you peace and love, Annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. We wish that bell would be rung every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard if the Peace Bell. It would be wonderful for us all to have peace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know that about the Bell. How lovely would it be if we also had a global observed moment of silence too? Because people say Peace is always on their minds, but by the state of the world... I kinda think they mean the other thing.

    ReplyDelete