Friday, October 21, 2016

Friendly Fill-ins: Week 24


Welcome to "Friendly Fill-Ins"! You can find the fill-ins here or at 15andmeowing.com each Thursday. The first two fill-ins are provided by my co-host, Ellen. The final two statements are offered by myself. We have posted a link so we can all share the completed fill-ins.

We thank you for joining us each week. Your participation is very important. Sharing with you and getting to know you better through your answers is what it is all about. Please remember to visit everyone on the list. Thank you!

Here are my completed fill-ins for this week:

1. One Halloween, I dressed as a hobo. I was ten years old. I wore scruffy clothes and had a bandana stuffed with things and tied on a stick. It was a lot of fun to be opposite to the fancy costumes of my younger years. Earlier, I had gone as a bride, a nurse, and even an elaborate gypsy. I never dressed as anything scary. Of course, I have dressed as cats, and bats, though.



2. My favorite comedian is one that is intelligent, as well as funny. I am an avid  fan of Monty Python. “The Holy Grail” is still one of my very favorite movies, and was the first actual date of Bill & I. I loved George Carlin and his sharp wit. I loved Gene Wilder and his easy humour. I loved Gilda Radner, Bill Murray, Martin Short, Molly Shannon, Will Ferrell, among other SNL comedians. I also love Keegan-Michael Key, Jordan Peele, Alex Borstein, Nicole Sullivan, Mo Collins, and the original Mad TV group. Humour is an important part of life. I have a dry "Far Side" sense of humour, with a bit of sharp wit. But, I have a silly side that I rely on daily. I am really a dork.


3. My scariest Halloween was a dark and stormy night…seriously! I was home alone as a teen. We lived in a townhouse where the windows were mostly uncovered. I was afraid to go downstairs, where I could possibly be seen through the sheer, open curtains. But, I was afraid to stay upstairs where I may be trapped if someone broke in! (That “Thump-Drag” story haunted me from youthful campfire nights. Oh, yikes.) 


4. The Taffy Apple is my favourite Halloween treat. I have always associated this with both  Halloween and Autumn, and I still do. I have many fond memories of Taffy Apple Day in grade school. It was a special day when I was a very little girl growing up in Chicago. Taffy apples have sure come a long way!




~Every reward is the fruit of discipline,
of dedication, and of sacrifices.
And of stubbornness.
                                             Sophia Loren~

Now, it's your turn. Please link up with us here. Or, you can answer in the comments

22 comments:

  1. haha...love the cartoons as I always do...you must have a never-ending supply. You are so right. Humour is a large part of our life as well. No matter what happens, if one can find the silly side, nothing is insurmountable. Hope I spelled that right....you get the idea anyway.

    Jean

    The Canadian Cats

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cats are funny. Humor is a great thing to help make the bad seem not so bad. There are some great comedians out there. There are many who would be great if they could get the bad language out of their acts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of those kitties are adorable. The gray one in the video looks so soft!

    I've always liked candy apples, but I can't eat them anymore. If I put any pressure on my jaw, it locks and is very painful. They sure are good, though.

    How terrifying that night alone must have been. It gave me shivers just reading it.

    The "inside the house" kitty reminded me very much of the "Have you checked the children?" movie.

    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hobo costume sounds like it was fun! A night in my own house, feeling haunted and ill-at-ease, would have scared me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always get a little freaked out, too, when windows are uncovered and it dark outside. Your mind can play all kind of tricks and you imagine all sorts of creepy people are on the outside looking in. I can certainly understand why you were scared that night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful answers! Intelligence mixed with humor sure does make for my kind of comedian, too. Like you, I love taffy apples, and I even had one last night! Thank you for hosting this always fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You reminded me that I dressed as a hobo for Halloween more than once. I think "hobo" was my mom's go-to answer when we couldn't agree on what I should dress as! I'm pretty much a dork too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dressed as a hobo once too. A gypsy as well. #3 does sound scary. We can really get ourselves scared by our own imagination. I did that a lot as a teen (still do sometimes). Oh, taffy apples! I love those. I forgot about them but used to eat them a lot at this time of year. I love the pics, especially the one that does with #3!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Fill-ins. Mom went as a hobo once too!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had candy apples, but not taffy ones. They would hurt my teeth now :) All those comedians are funny. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great answers and I love the memes you put with them, I don't know how you find them all to match so well with your answers. That does sound like a scary Halloween. And great choices on the comedians. I have never heard of a taffy apple, just candied or caramel. Have a great weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Mom says she never dressed up in a scary costume either....her favorite costume was as a gypsy...lots of her Mom's costume jewelry and scarves all over the place. I prefer VIRTUAL costumes myself! HAHA

    Hugs, Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've dressed as a hobo before too! :-)George Carlin was amazing, I agree with many of the others you listed too. Being at home alone at night can be truly scary, especially if all the cats suddenly stare down a hallway or at the door!! I grew up with caramel apples, and I love the to this day, even better when sliced before dipping because they're easier to eat! Thank you for offering Friendly Fill-Ins for us each week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, Gilda Radner, one of my all-time faves. Loved her Brownie character jumping around on the bed and so many others. When I was doing my fill-ins, I was only thinking of current comedians. What about Lily Tomlin? Love her too. I made my second-only ever meme today for my fill-ins. I could watch that kitten play all day long! Sending lots of love and hugs to all, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your answers.

    Your scary story was frightening.

    I like your favorite treat. Cute photo too.

    ENJOY your weekend.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great answers! We normally made our costumes and went to a party in the church basement.... I recall being a frog (this was before I heard of Kermit and realized how cool frogs were).
    I also agree with your list of comedians .... most of the current ones seem to lean toward the gross and vulgar, which I'm not fond of. I prefer the way Dunham and Foxworthy find the absurd in truth.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We just love your answers and Dad is an oldie so he remembers Monty before he had a Python MOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We enjoyed your answers. Taffy apple...mmmm...I haven't had one of those in years! ~Island Cat Mom

    ReplyDelete
  19. GREAT answers, Annie! It sounds as though our senses of humor are really similar. "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is one of my favorite movies of all time, too. And I have had lunch with Terry Gilliam, one of the members (and the illustrator for) of the Monty Python troupe. He's an alumnus of my college, and came to speak to my art class (and then ate lunch with us).

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE Monty Python!!! I grew up on the sharp, intelligent wit of British comedy, over the increasing crude for shock value that USA brings now. I am not necessarily interested in being as gross as possible just to get a laugh - that's not hard work. Gene and Gilda were the best comedy couple. Amazing story they have. And YES with the taffy apples. And we get the candy coated ones in summer too.
    Sorry I wasn't able to join - I don't know if you noticed but there were big internet hacks happening yesterday and a lot of sites were down. Including my own blog for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lol, it looks like we like the same comedians. My dad made me watch Monty Python and Faulty Towers episodes as a kid. Fun times. It was my first introduction to comedy and I was hooked!

    What's so scary about a thunderstorm...I always felt protected by the lightning as a kid. I don't know why.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. I appreciate your taste in comedy. Be well!

    ReplyDelete