Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The Scare

George is 14 1/2 months old. He is a very healthy, active little dude. He still loves balls of all kinds, stores his favourite toys under the stove, greets every morning with the Zoomies, and is so convinced he will learn to fly. His sisters all love him dearly.

Yesterday I took George for his annual check-up and vaccinations. His exam went well. He is 9 1/2 pounds of lean dude. His health is perfect. He then received his shots with silent bravado.

Going for a car ride, visiting the vet, and getting all of those vaccinations takes a lot out of a young dude. When we got home, George crawled under the covers for a very long nap. I know shots can cause critters to be sleepy and a bit out of sorts. So, I checked on him periodically. 

George finally got up at bedtime. He used his box, but did not want to eat. He crawled into a cat bed and went back to sleep. I checked on him through the night, but he just slept. 

Come morning, everyone followed their usual routine...except for George. I called for him. Still no George. This is unheard of. George comes when called. He always comes when called. No matter what.

After much searching, I found George hiding behind my recliner in the living room. This is not normal behaviour for George. He lives life large and never hides. When I picked him up, he seemed to be in pain. I immediately called the vet and they wanted to see him right away.

After a very thorough exam, George was found to be having adverse reactions to his vaccines. He was given fluids, as well as three injections to counteract his problems. He will be fine, after some rest and pampering. George's chart now has a warning regarding future vaccinations. This will be something that we have to be careful of throughout his life. 

Maggie also has this issue. As a young adult, she developed breathing problems, and can never have vaccines at the same time. Bob, our first Maine Coon, could not tolerate a rabies vaccine. This is not common in cats, but it does happen. It is life-threatening, too. 

George is sleeping, but it is restful, now. He should be back to normal soon. I look forward to seeing him get the Zoomies or try to fly. There is no better medicine for me.


44 comments:

  1. Poor George! A huge scare for you. We're sending purrs and universal Light that he's zooming around again very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes for George! I hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, this is so super scary. I am happy to hear that George will be okay, but we never want to hurt our kids when we think we are helping them. Let us know as soon as he is zooming and "flying." I pray it will as soon as tomorrow. Sending lots of POTP to George and all my love and hugs and prayers to you, Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My vet tech training helped here. Often, this is when you find out they have a sensitivity. As kittens, it is done in small doses, over time. At this age, it is given all at once. I am glad I watched and realized what was happening.

      Thanks for caring. I appreciate you. HUGS.

      Delete
  4. I am so terribly sorry and worried about George. Please do let us know when he is back to normal. Admiral had terrible but not near fatal...just really bad reactions to her vaccinations and as she got older, he just sort of forgot to give them to her. George, thank heavens you will be alright. I die a thousand deaths if I hurt my kitties in any way. Prayers for George and Chloe Jo,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for caring and for prayers. Chloe Jo is a work in progress. This was unexpected with George. When we got home, Maggie checked him out, and now he is sleeping between Grizelda and Chloe Jo. My furbabies.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you caught this just in time, and i'm so glad! Prayers for a speedy recovery for George!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure am glad George is doing some better and we're all sending purrs. Three of us are just not the same for at least a week after those shots and the peeps get all outta sorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It is half and half here. As sickly as Chloe Jo is, vacs do not bother her. As healthy as George is, he reacted dangerously! Hugs.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this good info - and I'm so glad George is feeling better !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope he recovers ok! Very important reminder that it's always important to pay attention when our guys seem off!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Pay close attention after any shots or procedures! Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Oh poor George!!! Sending hugs and healing prayers. He looks so much like our Cashew now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our little dudes are kindred spirits. They do resemble each other; handsome. ❤

      Delete
  10. That is very scary. Poor George, I am glad he is going to be fine. I only get the rabies vaccines for my cats and only because it is the law ( every 3 years).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We vaccinate to prevent possible diseases. I am exposed to all kinds sickly kittenes, when I bottle feed.

      Delete
  11. George is lucky you were experienced enough to be watchful for any adverse reactions and recognize he needed help. Purrs that he will be trying to fly again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am thankul that he is okay. My vets are great. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. Oh man, that is so, so scary! We are glad you called the vet when you did, and that George will be okay. Sending purrs, prayers and good, healing thoughts. Please keep us posted, okay, Annie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, guys. He is feeling better. We appreciate our caring thoughts. ❤

      Delete
  13. Definitely scary. Good to hear all is well with the dude. I love when the zoomies hit Jack. Teddy is not a zoomie kinda cat he prefers to stroll. Hugs for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hysterical to see Maggie try to keep up with George. Her zoomies are very clumsy! George literally runs up doors and walls, and he banks turns off windows! ❤

      Delete
  14. Poor baby!! I hope he's back to normal very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How scary! I hope that he is going to be up to his Zoomies and flying again very soon. Poor baby. :(

    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please keep us informed regarding how George is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OzmG...nixie has this same reaction...she gets Benadryl first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George will never have vacs together againg, only one at a time, like Maggie. Better to stay safe. Hugs.

      Delete
  18. wee small dood.....we iz troo lee sorree ya had ta go two de place oh eevil; N ya had such a time oh it.....

    me....tuna of moon hada bad ree act shunz ta de rabeez shot & convenia iz on R recordz az NEVER AGAIN...

    we send de blessings oh R pal st francis yur way for a speedee kinda ree cover ree......

    we iz glad yur mom catched that sum thin waz wrong sew ewe waz abe bull to get it fixed rite ~~~~ ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so important. Once there is a reaction, it must be remembered to never do it again. I am glad you are okay, Tuna. XO

      Delete
  19. how scary - glad you were there to keep an eye on him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that George's guardian angels were on duty that night! Hugs.

      Delete
  20. He is lucky you are so attune to his actions, many would have just ignored it and things could have ended badly. Hopefully the zoomies will resume quickly. I love the zoomies and we both just smile and say "there they go again". I can't wait until they have lots of space and different rooms to run through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No zoomies, yet...but, I am sure they will be coming soon!

      Delete
  21. Very scary.

    I like happy endings.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That had to be scary. I'm so glad George is doing better now. One of our cats has problems with shots so he has to get them over a 2 week period. One set one week and then 2 weeks later the others.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't think my comment on George went through on the more recent post. I have gotten behind in commenting and did not know that George had been sick. Our Z Cat had a bad reaction to a rabies vaccine. After that she had to have benadryl I believe before her shot. I am happy George is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete