Sunday, January 1, 2017

Getting There

There are times that we need to re-evaluate where we are, where we need to be, and what we need to get there. A brand new year is always a time of reflection for me, as it was in this post from 2013. I wish you a year filled with what makes you happy. Peace.


Roads, directions, mile markers, signs, ramps, bridges...we are always moving because that is the way of life. This has long been an inspiration to poets, including myself (see my poetry book, "Weeds"). We rely on maps, GPS, satellites, to help guide us. 

Bill has a satellite GPS in his truck. It speaks the directions to him, giving warnings, telling him which way to turn. I named it Hal, after HAL 9000, the computer in "2001: A Space Odyssey". While Hal can show and give directions, even Hal doesn't know everything down the roads. ("I'm sorry, Dave; I'm afraid I can't do that.") There are detours, weather factors, missing signs, construction, accidents, the unexpected, and the unknown. If Bill listened to him exclusively, he could end up off-roading in an 18-wheeler. 

This is life, too. We each must make a journey through life. We come into this world alone, and leave it alone. We may be guided by our parents. We are definitely influenced by our family and peers. We do not travel through life alone; not one of us does. Nevertheless, it is our personal journey to make. No one can make your journey for you. No one can tell you where to go, or how to get there. You find the tools that help you navigate, because you must. If you don't keep moving, you become a casualty. 

There are times that you may feel lost, and only you can find your way. Sometimes you have to "reconfigure" the route. Even with GPS or navigational devices, you have to use your own senses to find your own way. The fog may move in, or the GPS may be off (Dang it, Hal!). You control the GPS. You control your life. You must focus, and give your undivided attention to your direction and intended destination if you are ever to arrive. 

That's where I am. I needed some time to "reconfigure" my route with writing, blogging, myself and life. I needed to quiet the road noise. I had to be able to hear my internal GPS. I am getting back behind the wheel. I will finish the race, but I will do it my way. I will listen to my own GPS, and I will turn off the road noise when I need to. I'll get there.

I hope this year brings smoother roads for everyone. Set your internal GPS, and try to enjoy your journey, your way. Happy trails to you…Godspeed.

~McGuffy Ann Morris

17 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! May it bring you joy, peace, and clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Annie. The new year is a good time to listen to our own internal GPS like you said.

    May you stay on course and may you find Hope, Joy, Peace, Love and Contentment on your journey.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your GPS leads you wisely! Happy New Year from all of us at Brian's Home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post ... and so very true. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another wise and thought-provoking post, Annie. Happy New Year to you, Bill and the furkids! We hope your 2017 is filled with lots of peace, and love and happiness, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written. I think my GPS is broken. I have no clue of how to plan my year. I guess I need to take time to reconfigure too. Wishing you much health and happiness. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure about my GPS but the journey is worth the time and trouble to find the right road to get to where I want to go. Blessings and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've learned much about journeys this year! I just need to stay on mine! Your thoughts always help me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopefully there was at least one other person there when you cam into this world ;-)
    My GPS says work for 3-5 more years. I'll need to do some serious recalibrating after that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the mindset of enjoying the journey -- because really, Life is a Grand Adventure. I think if we can look at it that way, it helps keep a positive attitude. Here's to lots of adventures for us both in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes Annie, I hear you. CH and I need to do some reconfiguring. These are good words to read this morning. I hope you find your way, the best way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully written sentiment. I can't help sharing a comedic example of a failed GPS. Driving in an unfamiliar city, trying to find our hotel, the thing directed us to a cemetery. That definitely is our final destination! At least physically. ~grin~ Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. whitefish waves frum uz and copee & paste…. anda happee new yeer two ewe all ♥♥♥ ; sneekin round blog land two day iz gettin tuffer bye de minit… de food gurlz place oh employ iz ta blame… we wanted ta say hope de new yeer bringz everee one lotz oh happee nezz & health & perch samichez ~~ !!! ♥♥♥ ☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. whitefish waves frum uz and copee & paste…. anda happee new yeer two ewe all ♥♥♥ ; sneekin round blog land two day iz gettin tuffer bye de minit… de food gurlz place oh employ iz ta blame… we wanted ta say hope de new yeer bringz everee one lotz oh happee nezz & health & perch samichez ~~ !!! ♥♥♥ ☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  15. A most happy and merry new year for you and Bill and all your lovely critters too! I can relate to your lovely honest post, and sometimes we just have to disconnect!

    ReplyDelete