Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Mantra

I have a very active inner child, who is endlessly curious. It was this quest for knowledge and acute curiosity that led to my love for reading at an early age. The more I learned, the more I realized how little I know, and how no one can ever know it all. Even more important, we don’t need to know it all. I don’t think we are meant to.


Words are powerful conduits for knowledge and understanding. Words can connect us. Sometimes words can define us, or explain us to others, or perhaps just to ourselves. I often write down words and phrases that mean something to me. However, some of these words, quotes, and phrases just make me think. Many of these become "mantra", words I live by.

A mantra that has stayed with me from youth is, “It is what it is.” I take this to heart. If we can remember this it can help us with many situations that are beyond our control. It can be freeing. We cannot always understand why something is a certain way or how to fix a problem. But, if we can simply accept it, we can move forward.



About the time that I realized my own love of words gave me power, I came across my favourite Nietzsche quote, “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” This has an especially powerful meaning for me. It proved to be true then, and continues to ring true.



When I was 19, I converted to Catholicism. It was something that I felt deeply about from the age of 12. Finding Mother Teresa was one of the catalysts in converting when I finally did. She inspired me then and still does today. Her words, “Intense love does not measure, it just gives” are potent reminders of what love is and does.



Gandhi is very special to me. I have his words on my blog footer, along with two other loves of mine, Chloe Jo and Maggie. But, another mantra that is always on my heart and whispered in my soul is from Gandhi, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” When I listen to the news, see rants on Facebook, blogs, and other places, I think of this simple truth. When I am confronted by someone with whom I disagree, these words always rise from deep within me.



I know that I cannot always make a profound impact with my actions or words. Truthfully, I would rather do my work here on earth quietly, as close to God’s satisfaction as I can. I can “be part of the change I wish to see in the world”. God knows what is in my heart. And He understands.





Shared with:
"Create a phrase or statement, that you carry 
with you throughout the coming year."

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Mimi, I am so very human. But, I try very hard to do the right thing.

      Delete
  2. Annie, "It is what it is " is also one of my mantra. All those quotes really resonate with me too. Such great wisdom to live by.
    Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, great minds think alike. *wink* I am not surprised these speak to you. Hugs. ❤

      Delete
  3. You are a wise woman. Thank you for sharing some of that wisdom with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wisdom shines though in your wonderful written words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honoured you feel that way. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. I love all these quotes. I especially like the idea of doing our work secretly and silently. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do so much for others. You make a difference, my friend. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. You speak wise words! Thank you for sharing these things about you. I enjoy knowing you and it always warms my heart to stop by here. Of course, may I say, Quotes are something (one of many things) that keep me afloat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your posts for their wisdom in both word and image. Thanks for being here.

      Delete
  7. You are so wise and heart full of love and we are blessed to call you friend. To hear your heart. I have be the change on my mantra band - one of my faves and my creed. And yes to go about it quietly, not from ego or trying to prove anything, but simply because you show love via serving. Maybe no one will ever notice - until you're gone. Or maybe never. That's not the point though. It is what it is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that as long as God sees and approves, I have done my job. In the end, that is all that matters. Hugs, my friend.

      Delete
  8. Annie

    speaking of quietly;

    my dad always says; a true hero comes and goes without any knowledge to anyone he was ever there

    those who boast of being one; do nothing more than just that.....boast

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Grampy was that way. And, he was my hero. ❤

      Delete
  9. I love your blog names. And your animals are adorable. I like how they are labelled the thinker, the doer, the dude, etc. Your blog post is very well-written, and I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete