Thursday, January 19, 2017

New Hope


As we begin a new year, America begins a new era. This should be viewed as a good thing. While everyone in the universe has an opinion about it, it is Americans that it affects the most. It is our America; it is us. What many Americans do not seem to remember, or perhaps understand, is that we are still in this together.

I spent most of my life in America’s heartland, born of generations of American farmers. Many of their descendants later became factory workers. They moved from the farms to the cities to “better” themselves and their families lives, and building America in the process. Indeed, making her great.

I was raised to be a good citizen. I was taught to respect those in authority, that they are protecting my country, its laws, and me. I was taught how to be a part of that, and spent four years in ROTC. There I learned about the history and preservation of America from the inside out. I saw how critical it is to be part of solutions, and how to prevent problems.

I became old enough to vote in 1980, and was proud to do so. I saw America gain momentum and grow even stronger. She flourished. I saw our military proud to serve under their Chief. America took pride in her own natural resources and the independence of using them. America was truly great.

But, recent times have changed things. I have seen America falter, stumble, and grow weak. She is not what she once was. I have seen her give herself away, with false hope of becoming stronger. She was lied to. Her people were misled. The factories and mines that made her strong and independent closed. These businesses were what once gave her people jobs, homes, and lives. Now these jobs were in foreign countries, yet Americans were forced to buy the things they used to make here. Morals and values followed downward in the undoing of America. She was stripped of it all. I know, because I was there. I saw it happen.

I have seen manufacturing leave our country, including Bill’s career of over thirty years. He was forced to reinvent himself, which is not easy for a man over 55. He is not alone. This has destroyed Americans in numerous ways. Illinois, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan all have firsthand stories, from generations of real Americans. They will tell you how America has changed, failing them, because the concern was not for America, but for a “new world order” that does not seem to include them. We must think of America and her people first; because only then can we be strong in the world. The Bible tells us that “Charity begins at home”. This is the same Bible that is part of the foundation of America.

Many people are more concerned with being “politically correct” than morally correct. There are bullies that take it out on those who cling to the morals and values that America was founded on. Protests have become the norm as retaliation for unrest. But, “protests” should not be a way of life. “Protests” have made us a nation divided. This is a bad thing. If we continue to divide, we will all ultimately fall.  

As an American, born and raised here, this does not feel like a reasonable option. I want us all to succeed, grow, thrive! I want us all to remain true to our roots, the very things that brought us together and founded us as a great nation. These things made us all great. I want to see America resourceful, working, and independent, again.

I still have hope for America. America is resilient. She has been through much in her short life. She can do this, if we all pull together for her collective good, and not “special interests”. United we stand. If we cease to stand together, we will cease to exist as a free country.

Enough is enough. It is time to come together as one. It seems simple, but it starts with treating others the way we want to be treated. It is all about "Respect". God bless America and her people.

"Long may She wave."



Shared with:
It's a New Year! What is one positive thing about 2017, 
and one negative thing about the forthcoming year?   

20 comments:

  1. "We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we will all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Franklin was wise. We need that kind of American spirit back.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Beth, thank you! I value your thoughts. Warm hugs!

      Delete
  3. Excellent post! My hubby's father's backhoe manufacturing finally closed in 2005 after years of decline, mainly from cheaper products made overseas. I am very hopeful for the future of our country and I wish people would stop protesting and trust in the system of our government. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do understand, my friend. Indeed, trust in those who yield the power, because we elected them as a nation. But, we need to trust in each other and ourselves, too. Hugs!

      Delete
  4. Great post.
    The phrase "under God" was added to the Pledge in 1954, when Joe McCarthy was in power. I remembered having to learn the new version when I was in grade school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would sure be nice if everyone could just be nice, you know, like bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said my friend, bravo!! You should be the speech writer from now on! I believe that your nation will come through this storm stronger than ever. But it will storm for a bit -- sometimes the rain is cleansing though, right? And the sun shines out all the brighter. Much love to all you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the dark days that help us realize the importance of the light. We will find it, together. I believe.

      Delete
  7. I'm not commenting on American politics but I understand that a united nation will stand but a divided nation can fall. Let us pray for unity, wisdom and respect for each other.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I keep politics to myself, too. But, this needs to be said, in an American, bi-partisan way. Unity. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. I thought this was well said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well said. I have concerns about our new president and obviously did not vote for him...but he is now in that position and we need to move forward. I pray that my fears will have been unfounded and things get better.

    ReplyDelete