Friday, March 17, 2017

Friendly Fill-ins: Week 45


Welcome to "Friendly Fill-Ins: Week 45"!  You can find the fill-ins here and at 15andmeowing.com each Thursday. We post the linky on Friday, so we can all share. The first two fill-ins are provided by my great co-host, Ellen. The final two statements are offered by myself. 

Thank you for joining us each week. Your participation makes this weekly event so much fun. I always look forward to your answers. Please try to visit everyone on the list. It is so very worthwhile. Thanks.

Maggie hopes to have her procedure next week, to find out what the mass in her throat is. The sneezing seems to be settling down. Please keep her in your prayers.

Enjoy your weekend. May it be wonderful in every way. Stay safe and enjoy the greening that is hopefully happening near you. 🍀

Did you think the questions were challenging this week? I did. Here are my completed fill-ins:

1. The oldest item in my home is my great-grandparent’s wedding portrait. It is from August 5, 1891, and is in its original frame with original glass. I have loved this as long as I can remember. Grandpa was 6’2; Granny was 4’8. In the portrait, she was standing and he was sitting, so you cannot see their size difference. Lionhearted, they both had a lot of pride and very strong wills. He was Welsh; She was Scots-Irish. I cherish this portrait.

Grandpa & Granny were lionhearted, especially as a couple.

2. The oldest item in my refrigerator is the heavy glass butter dish with lid, which is a necessity with cats. We have had a few who liked to indulge in butter, if they were allowed. Currently, it would be George.



3. My family heritage is “mongrel”. Legend has it that I am English, Welsh, Scots-Irish, German, Dutch, and Cherokee. My roots are mostly from the U.K. The sad thing is that my family tree was never preserved, with branches being piled up here and there, and even burned along the way. The stories that were handed down have been preserved mostly by me, but so much is unknown. Bill is half Hungarian and half English, but there are secrets there, too. 


4. My favourite family tradition is the Southern flavour of life handed down from all of my ancestors.  The best part of it was the storytelling, including colourful expressionsI am first-generation northerner, and the only one born in Chicago. My best years were “down yonder”, though. My childhood was steeped in Southern pride and traditions. 



The learning in youth is the pretty learning.
Is e ‘n t-ionnsachadh òg an t-ionnsachadh bòidheach.
                                                                                                     ~Gaelic Proverb

Now, it's your turn. Please link up with us here. Or, you can answer in the comments

21 comments:

  1. I just love your answer to #1. What a treasure that beautiful portrait must be. Of course, as always, I love all of your answers. My butter eater is Evan. He's a tad bit addicted to the stuff. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'd give anything if I had something truly old from my ancestors.....my parents both had the kind of childhood that they wanted to leave behind as adults and didn't save a THING - and both were very reluctant to talk about what THEY knew of their heritage. Strange but in those days a lot of people just didn't SHARE personal info even with their own family. BUT I do have some (few) very old photos and the people are all very "severe" looking - maybe what I don't know won't hurt me??? (haha) Great fill-ins this week Annie....yours always are. That kitten in the St. Pat's hat is SO CUTE! Prayers for Maggie......

    Love, Pam, Sam and Ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture sounds so special. Sweetie is 6'2", and i am 5' even, so almost as much difference as your grandparents in our height, and i always say that looking at us together makes you think of the long and short of things!

    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy St. Patrick's Day! I love your answer to #3--guess I am a mongrel too, from many parts of Europe and the British Isles. Sending prayers for Maggie...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answers and great pictures, especially the lions. Beautiful! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your answers! That photo of your great grandparents sounds like a beautiful heirloom. Your great-grandfather was really tall, especially for back then. That is too bad about your family tree not being preserved, there is so much information through ancestry.com that I bet you could start piecing those branches together. A heavy butter dish is a necessity. Millie always jumps in the sink to see what is left on the butter knife in the morning. Have a nice weekend. Happy St. Patrick's Day! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. The portrait of your great-grandparents sounds wonderful! I love their size difference! I've always thought the Southern way of life so charming. You're fortunate to have that in your family.

    I sure hope everything goes well for Maggie. I will definitely be thinking of her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those were terrific and we loved the lion couple too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I thought my cats looked cute in their hats!! That kitten is killer!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. BUTTER !!!!!! now yur total lee talkin rockin :) we R lion; tiger, panther, snow leopard N cougar....de food gurl had sum sghetti sauce in de fridge that hada beerd....her tossed it tho N frank lee even we waz freekin bout that !

    happee week oh end & lá sona st patrick le sláinte do gach ♣♣♣

    ReplyDelete
  11. Southern heritage is a great thing. We in the South have a unique way of seeing things. Storytelling is a big part of who we are. Love the cat pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice on the wedding portrait. Thanks for the story.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved reading these and I loved the pictures!!! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Friday! Here's my entry for the Friendly Fill-Ins ... enjoy! http://wp.me/p3RE1e-2Bp

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good questions,and fun to answer. :) I like your tradition of southern ways, and that photo of the cats in the tree is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Annie, I would so love to see that photo or your great-grandparents. We probably have some documents and photos in our house (from Tom's family) older than anything else. I never thought of them when doing that fill-in. Loved your memes, as I always do. You, Maggie and Chloe Jo are always in my daily prayers. Sending lots of love and hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  17. We bet that Southern Falvor storytelling is part of why you're such a great storyteller, Annie. :)

    Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Annie, sorry I didn't get a post up this week but life got in the way and so did a slooooooooooow internet. I am going to answer the Fill-ins here.

    The oldest item in my home is my Grandma's set of blue mixing bowls. I love them. I am sixty five and my Mom had them before me and Grandma had them so who knows how old they are but they are old!
    The oldest item in my refrigerator is a hunk of summer sausage... it needs to go.
    My family heritage is Scotch Irish. I am sure there is more, I would love to do Ancestry dot com.
    My favorite family tradition is to decorate the Christmas tree Thanksgiving weekend and celebrate the decorating with a glass of wine... my Mom's rainbow glasses.

    George is such a cute little stinker! Love your Southern flavor tradition and storytelling!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope that Maggie is going to be okay. She's in my prayers.

    Oh what a treasure that photograph of your great-grandparents is! We have a wedding photo of one of David's sets of great-grandparents, but just a digital version. I have no clue who has the original. What a blessing that you have such a wonderful keepsake!

    There are some interesting expressions down here, that's for sure. One that one of my neighbors used to say, when I was a little kid, was "I'll be jumped up!" She's the first one that I ever heard say it, and so far, the only one. I thought that was a fun expression and she was a very sweet lady. She let me vacuum her house. :)

    Awww that St. Patrick's kitty there at the end is just adorable!

    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhhhh! That portrait of your grandparents sounds so awesome! Definitely a thing to cherish! Our cats (and dogs) would indulge in butter if they ever were able to get to it. I'm thankful for my glass butter dish I got at an antique store, as well as my butter crock. Just have to remember to keep them covered! ;) I love that you have the 'Southern flavor of life' and continue the tradition in your storytelling. Much more fun to read! ;) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My answers are at https://jottingsandwritings.wordpress.com/2017/03/19/friday-fill-in-fun-45/... Not finding the little "linky" thing yours or 15 and Meowings blog and the part that says something about 'click here to add yours' isn't working for me (when I click, nothing happens).

    ReplyDelete