Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The Locket


Mattie always said that no matter where you went, to be truly happy you must take a piece of home with you. Surely Mattie knew something about happiness, as she led a very full and long life on her family farm. Not only had she delivered numerous babies in the Tennessee hills, but Mattie had cared for countless others throughout her lifetime.

Upon her death at age 98, Mattie’s secret was quietly revealed. In the locket she had always worn around her neck, were the engraved words, “Crossmolina, ´Eire” along with a perfectly preserved shamrock.


Shared with:
Five lines or less
using the word prompt:
"shamrock"

11 comments:

  1. I like how you waited to the end of the story to use the prompt word "shamrock". Very well done.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I had to look up Crossmolina :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stories that have a history to them...even the ones that are all of five lines. The shamrock from home served her well. Thanks for sharing your lovely story with In Other Words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. I really liked the part about the preserved Shamrock in the locket.

    If you subscribe to my blog via e-mail for updates you may need to resubscribe due to recent email address changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful words made a wonderful short story... :) Beautiful locket. I looked up Crossmolina, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrying home both near to and in your heart is very important!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet story. Hm, I am not sure I am carrying my 'real' home with me, but my actual home is always with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is beautiful. I had to look it up. I had no idea Eire was Irish for Ireland.

    ReplyDelete