Monday, April 3, 2017

Both Sides Now


Rows and flows of angel hair 
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on everyone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud's illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

Moons and Junes and ferries wheels
The dizzy dancing way you feel
As every fairy tale comes real
I've looked at love that way

But now it's just another show
You leave 'em laughing when you go
And if you care, don't let them know
Don't give yourself away

I've looked at love from both sides now
From give and take and still somehow
It's love's illusions I recall
I really don't know love at all

Tears and fears and feeling proud,
To say "I love you" right out loud
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
I've looked at life that way

But now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.

I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all

I've looked at life from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all

~Joni Mitchell

This may be my favourite song. When it was released, I was still a child. But, even in the morning of my life, I understood. Throughout my life, I would hear this song and re-connect to the very essence of it every time. It did not just speak to me, but it also spoke for me. Now, in the evening of my life, this song still moves me. I feel it; deeply. 

My Lifeblood Songs: B

21 comments:

  1. I remember that song and used to sing along but I hadn't heard it for quite some time now. What a beautiful voice. Thanks for this.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love this song, Julia. It sums up everything for me. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. I was in high school when this song hit the charts. I like this blurb about this song...
    “Both Sides, Now is, at first, a meditation on clouds, the whimsical way a child sees them, as “ice-cream castles in the air,” but there are two sides to everything, and as we mature, we stop seeing clouds for their simple beauty, but as a sign of rain or bad weather. It is like that with all things that seem at first so simple and beautiful, such as love and life. We start out with such natural optimism as children, and then as adults we tend to learn a bitter pessimism or brutal honesty, seeing clouds/life/love for what they are.” – Catherine MacLellan, PEI singer-songwriter
    I feel like I have come full circle with clouds and see them as beautiful again much like I view my life. I see the beauty every day. I have left the pessimism of my fifties. This is such a powerful song, Annie. I didn't understand all the things Joni was saying in this song when I was a teen. Most of it certainly resonated back then and truly now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see things pessimistically or optimistically. I have always seen things realistically. I am an old soul. I think it helps me to appreciate things for what they are, as they are. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. I've discovered that this is one of those songs that changes and moves with you throughout your lifetime, continually reflecting your experiences. For me, it continues to gain meaning with each passing year. Sometimes I find it very haunting.

    Visiting from AtoZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has always spoken to me, and is my favourite song. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. An excellent song, and i've always enjoyed it, even if it does make me a bit wistful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cry when I hear it, but feel all kinds of emotion. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Dad seems to remember all those goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember first hearing this song on the Love Actually soundtrack. Then Hayley Westenra did a version as well. It's a lovely song.

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
  8. annie...great choice for B !!!!!!!! thiz iz going to be a fun challenge ! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. It always amazes me how much you understood as a child, you are clearly an "old soul". Beautiful choice for B. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an old soul. I think that helps me to see and appreciate things for who and what they are. Hugs, my friend.

      Delete
  10. Another great choice, Annie. And again, seeing the lyrics in print gives them a whole other dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An all-time favorite of mine as well. Love and hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay Canadian talent! Oh you know I am feeling this!! My favourite of hers is The River -- but of course the letter is "B" LOL but this is a great, beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete