Thursday, April 6, 2017

Everybody Hurts


When your day is long
And the night
The night is yours alone
When you're sure you've had enough
Of this life
Well hang on
Don't let yourself go
'Cause everybody cries
And everybody hurts sometimes

Sometimes everything is wrong
Now it's time to sing along
When your day is night alone (hold on)
(Hold on) if you feel like letting go (hold on)
If you think you've had too much
Of this life
Well, hang on

'Cause everybody hurts
Take comfort in your friends
Everybody hurts
Don't throw your hand
Oh, no
Don't throw your hand
If you feel like you're alone
No, no, no, you're not alone

If you're on your own
In this life
The days and nights are long
When you think you've had too much
Of this life
To hang on

Well, everybody hurts sometimes
Everybody cries
And everybody hurts sometimes
And everybody hurts sometimes
So, hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on

Everybody hurts 

You are not alone

~Bill Berry, Peter Buck, Michael Mills, Michael Stipe

The creativity and sensitivity of R.E.M. were an oasis in an era that did not speak to me much musically. This song is especially profound. My strongest connection to it is a tragic memory. Bill and I had just attended a particularly heartbreaking wake for a very special little girl: our goddaughter, Dewey. In silence, we started the car and turned on the radio. This song began to play. Losing Dewey left our hearts forever broken, and we were seriously hurting. We still think of her and miss her every day. This song is for her and her beautiful way of caring about everyone, no matter who they were or what happened. It is also for you, because... "Everybody hurts sometimes...So, hold on...you are not alone."

My Lifeblood Songs: E

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful. So sorry for your loss. Made me teary eyed this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth Ann. I know everybody goes through painful things. Dewey did. We sure have. Holding on is hard, but it is important. Love helps. Always.

      Delete
  2. A very poignant song Annie. I'm sorry for your loss as well. Sometime it hard to hold on when all you have left is the memories. This hits home in a BIG way.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I am sure this one spoke to you, too. Hold on. Hugs. ❤

      Delete
  3. Annie, What a tragedy to read that your goddaughter passed! It's never easy when a child dies, never. How do you prepare for that? You can't. Death stinks! It really stinks. You can reason away and feel comfort somewhat when an elderly person dies by saying he/she lead a full, rich life but a child? Where's the sense in that? It just doesn't make much sense at all, even when the child is 40. That's the age my brother was when he died. It was so heartbreaking for my parents, especially my daddy. He lost his buddy, his only son! Oh this is such an emotional post but thanks for sharing it with us and thanks for visiting my Art Sketching Through the Alphabet with the letter "E" (elephant, eagle, elk)! Have an electric day a2zing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dewey was only eight years old. She was an angel on earth, and now forevermore.

      Delete
  4. Sorry for your loss. I have to admit, I'm not really a fan of this song, but it's definitely a special one for you and I hope that it brings you a lot of comfort when you listen to it.

    A similar song for me is Into The West by Annie Lennox from the Return of the King soundtrack. It makes me feel like death is just a goodbye, not the end.

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cait, I feel this song is a positive. It is about surviving. It confirms that we really are all in this world together. We all feel, and if we just hold on, we can get through the hurts.

      Delete
  5. Annie;

    Dewey is a beautiful girl; the birdhouse is as well ♥♥♥♥♥

    I hope the wrens continue to visit each year and start another family ~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you. She makes a perfect angel. She watches over the birds, and all of the little critters, now. I am sure.

      Delete
  6. Please accept my codolences for the loss of your sweet goddaughter. Losing a child tears your heart in ways you cannot imagine until it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, my friend. She was very special. God knew.

      Delete
  7. I was late to be a fan of REM. This song touches so many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are never too late. This song is timeless. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. I am sorry about Dewey, that is so sad. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie, this is another song I do not know, but I can understand why it would hold such meaning. The words are very powerful, and ones to which we all can relate. I am so sorry to hear about your godchild. I know she remains in your heart. Purrs, prayers and hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  10. This song speaks to me, too, especially right now. I am so sorry about Dewey. :(

    Isn't it amazing how Heavenly Father sends us a message through a song when we least expect it?

    One evening, shortly after my daddy died, I turned on the car radio, which is something that I rarely do anymore. Michael Jackson's song You Are Not Alone was playing. I knew Heavenly Father had heard my heartbreak and sent it to comfort me.

    Songs are powerful. No matter what we're facing in life, there's a song to cover it, to help us get through it.

    Have a blessed evening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an emotional song. I really think this band was locked into something so universally humane when they wrote this. There's so much feeling in every word. I can never finish it without getting weepy -- even though I may not have been sad. It just so reminds me to look at people as lovingly as I can. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is an amazing and powerful song, Annie. One of my favorites, too. I am so sorry that Dewey was taken from this world, but it seems as though this song gives voice to the pain you and Bill were feeling do deeply. Love and hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete