Friday, April 7, 2017

For What It’s Worth


There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware

I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind

It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side

It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away

We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
Stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

Stop, now, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
Stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

~Stephen Stills

This song has always moved me. I hope it moves you, too. It has been said that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Sadly, we have not learned from our own history. This song is as relevant now as it was in 1967. When we stop being negative, things can change in positive ways. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.  What we are doing isn't working. Everybody, stop...look what's going down.  

My Lifeblood Songs: F

9 comments:

  1. That's such a good song, always liked that one. Haven't heard it in years!

    I don't think human nature ever will change, it is what it is. It's easy to appeal to our baser natures and stir up fear and paranoia, which just means we need more self-awareness, education, deliberate acts of kindness, compassion, etc. Just my $0.02! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, you are right. We do need more of those. It is humanity's hope. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Annie for this... There are so many thing I could say but our only hope is love as Jesus tried to tell us and they crucified him though he didn't do anything wrong. If everyone was really self aware they would see how marvelous our own bodies are and how wonderful God's creation is.
    Love and peace lives together.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, my friend. It was hard to keep my thoughts brief on this one, but I hope I got the point across why it is a Lifeblood song for me. We need to just Stop. Look around. The "protesting" today is just more violence and fighting. It is not working. Be the change in positive ways, by what YOU do. Make it peaceful.

      Delete
  3. Excellent choice, I agree that this song is as true today as it was then. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great song. I haven't heard it in a while.
    I think part of humanity is doomed to repeat the past while another part is looking to the future with optimism. I'm not sure there will be a "winner" but rather constant strife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like you and I are musically linked!! One of my most favourite songs. An oft played one on my iPod. Honestly, I think the songs of this era were just so much more worthy and of value. You're rocking this my friend!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, this song speaks to me, and i'm sometimes scared about the fact that we aren't learning our lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie, I thought exactly as you did when I listened to this song just now. Could have been written today. Another group I loved. All their songs are favorites. Never saw them in concert but did see Poco with Richie Furay and Jim Messine after Buffalo Springfield broke up. Being in high school and college in the 60s in California was the best place to be to see all these classic bands in person. Thanks for bringing back some great memories for me. Sending lots of hugs, prayers and love, Janet

    ReplyDelete