Monday, April 10, 2017

Hurt


I hurt myself today 
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
Beneath the stains of time
The feelings disappear
You are someone else
I am still right here

What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

If I could start again
A million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way

~Trent Reznor

The music of Johnny Cash has always been a part of my life. There are many songs of his that I like. I have strong memories attached to some of his songs. He did not write this song, but his interpretation of it resonates deep within my soul. Johnny Cash had well-worn, hard-earned wisdom. I believe that he understood life and its importance. But, I also believe that he realized its limitations and eventual demise. We need to always remember these things, too. For those reasons, we need to be forgiving of others, but also of ourselves.  


My Lifeblood Songs: H

11 comments:

  1. We all need healing for our hurts. My prayer is we find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! I'm sharing this video on one of my letters for the month, K. Happy Blogging!

    http://darlamsands.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Johnny Cash really nailed this song and it has a very deep meaning about his life and coming to the end... He certainly was one of my favorite singer. There's a deep message in that song...
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sure did have a way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent choice, I love Johnny Cash. I agree we need to be forgiving of others because we don't know why anyone does what they do, everyone has their own story and hurts. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit to never listening to very much country though my dad played albums on the turn table all the time ~~~ ! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. True about be forgiving of others. We never know what they are dealing with in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He had such a way with people, and how his music touched us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, forgiveness! There is healing found there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This song by Johnny Cash nails it. Forgiving is the first step toward healing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of those songs that is so haunting with emotion and pain -- and yet somehow utterly beautiful. The human condition we all know too well.

    ReplyDelete