Thursday, April 13, 2017

Kodachrome


When I think back
On all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder
I can think at all
And though my lack of education
Hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew
When I was single
And brought them all together for one night
I know they'd never match
My sweet imagination
Everything looks worse in black and white

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

Mama don't take my Kodachrome away
Mama don't take my Kodachrome away
Mama don't take my Kodachrome away

Mama don't take my Kodachrome
Mama don't take my Kodachrome
Mama don't take my Kodachrome away
Mama don't take my Kodachrome
Leave your boy so far from home
Mama don't take my Kodachrome away
Mama don't take my Kodachrome
Mama don't take my Kodachrome away

~Written by Paul Simon

This song was popular when I was in high school. It was a favourite song in my group of friends. Many of us had pocket cameras at the time, and we took lots of pictures. Everything we did was about living life in full colour and making memories. We wanted to capture every colourful moment, and we tried to do just that. This song is a Lifeblood song because for me it speaks of living life fully and making memories with those you share a bond with. As I look back, I truly understand the value of memories and of living in full colour. This song helps put it all into focus.

  My Lifeblood Songs: K

18 comments:

  1. Annie,

    I remember this song back in the day but it never really meant a lot to me because I wasn't into photography. Flashback to the mid-80s that's when I got my first Nikon 35mm camera I remember using Kodachrome in those early years. My digital camera is also a Nikon but gone are the days of Kodachrome or at least for me. Serious photographers still use film but I purrfectly happy with digital. :) Please come by for Art Sketching Through the Alphabet with Curious as a Cathy when you have a sec! Have a good day & happy a2zjing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, for me it isn't about photography. That is just a metaphor for making memories and living life fully, "in colour". The memories are what is important!

      Delete
  2. I love that lively old song and I remember it well although I wasn't into photography then.
    Thanks for the memories.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. You have many memories that are priceless. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Another wonderful song! Greens of summer and makes us think all the world"s a sunny day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great choice for a K song today annie !!! I'm singin as da tabbies say, in my mindz eye !! heerz two a happee easturr anda grate week oh end ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K was difficult, but this was an important part of my teens.

      Delete
  5. I have always liked that song too :) And I love taking photos. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. An old favorite of mine, too! Brings back good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad, Mimi! That is what it is about. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. We used to really emphasize the word "CRAP!" when we sang along...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did my group, well, the guys, mostly. *wink*

      Delete
  8. My first love introduced me to Simon and Garfunkel Live in Central Park on cassette. Ah. Memories. Still a favorite.

    http://darlamsands.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorite songs - but then almost anything they created was golden to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A new one for me? I am sure I must have likely heard it before since my mom loved Paul Simon. Glad to have found it because the lyrics are amazing.

    ReplyDelete