Friday, April 14, 2017

The Logical Song


When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily,
joyfully, playfully watching me.
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible,
logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
clinical, intellectual, cynical.

There are times when all the world's asleep,
the questions run too deep
for such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
but please tell me who I am.

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
liberal, fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable!

At night, when all the world's asleep,
the questions run so deep
for such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
but please tell me who I am.

~Written by Richard Davies, Roger Hodgson 


I have always had a way of seeing and understanding what lies beneath the surface. Even as a child, I was sensitive, inquisitive, honest, and principled. None of this was appreciated or encouraged in my home. I was expected to go with the flow, be quiet, and not ask questions. Secrets were normal and there were many. I did not fit in; I was unacceptable. My childhood was very difficult and painful. Consequently, trust did not come easy for me. In high school, I was able to find healthy, creative outlets. Through these curricular programs, I found validation and was rewarded for my strengths, which was liberating. Not only did I thrive: I excelled. I did find myself, right where I was all along. I actually had never stopped being me. I realized that is a very good thing. The things that had happened to me did not define me. And, what didn't kill me made me stronger. When this song was released, it spoke to me of my formative years. It still does, and it is a crucial Lifeblood Song.

My Lifeblood Songs: L

13 comments:

  1. This has always been a favorite song. Thanks for the video!

    http://darlamsands.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew the name of this song, but I have always liked it. I am always amazed when I read your posts about poetry and how you understood it when you were a child. I am glad you stayed who you are instead of bending to someone else's will. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a special friend. Your comment really made me teary. Thank you. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. I can see why this song meant so much to as you identified with the lyrics. You were a deeply intellectual, spiritual child.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, this means a lot to me. Thank you. You are special to me. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard this song in a really long time, and I guess I never thought of what it actually said. It had a catchy tune which made me like it. To blossom and become who you really are is unusual in high school with peer pressure and cliques. I didn't find myself until my late twenties (if then). I am enjoying your challenge subject as I continue to learn more about you, Annie. Love, hugs and prayers, Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is said that it takes courage to be who you are meant to be. I really never saw any other way for me. I refused to be like others, like them.

      Delete
  5. This song spoke to me, too. I was a young adult when it came out. Visiting from A to Z. The Unknown Journey Ahead agingonthespectrum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was 20 when this song was released. I felt vindicated.

      Delete
  6. There is so much to this song, i've always enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I understand your fondness for this song, Annie.
    Good Morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great song. I can remember singing this as a teenager and just feeling the weight of the words "please tell me who I am..."

    ReplyDelete