Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Vincent


Starry, starry night
Paint your palette blue and gray
Look out on a summer's day
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul
Shadows on the hills
Sketch the trees and the daffodils
Catch the breeze and the winter chills
In colors on the snowy linen land

Now I understand what you tried to say to me
And how you suffered for your sanity
How you tried to set them free
They would not listen, they did not know how
Perhaps they'll listen now

Starry, starry night
Flaming flowers that brightly blaze
Swirling clouds in violet haze
Reflect in Vincent's eyes of china blue
Colors changing hue
Morning fields of amber grain
Weathered faces lined in pain
Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand

Now I understand what you tried to say to me
And how you suffered for your sanity
And how you tried to set them free
They would not listen, they did not know how
Perhaps they'll listen now

For they could not love you
But still your love was true
And when no hope was left in sight
On that starry, starry night
You took your life as lovers often do
But I could have told you, Vincent
This world was never meant
For one as beautiful as you

Starry, starry night
Portraits hung in empty halls
Frameless heads on nameless walls
With eyes that watch the world and can't forget
Like the strangers that you've met
The ragged men in ragged clothes
A silver thorn, a bloody rose
Lie crushed and broken on the virgin snow

Now I think I know what you tried to say to me
And how you suffered for your sanity
And how you tried to set them free
They would not listen, they're not listening still
Perhaps they never will

~Written by: Don McLean

This song pays tribute to the brilliant Vincent Van Gogh, a truly beautiful spirit. His artwork, also used in this video, has an ethereal quality. I believe this song can also honour other creative, yet tortured souls. There have been other artists, poets, and musicians, who were talented, yet had tortured souls. We all know them. They gifted the world with their creative views of things that they saw through emotion. I have been touched and influenced by many of these sensitive people, including Vincent Van Gogh. With them all, I felt a connection. I felt an understanding and a compassion. This Lifeblood Song reminds us to appreciate the beauty around us, and also the beauty of those sensitive souls who see what we sometimes cannot see, for whatever reason…unless they share it.

My Lifeblood Songs: V

22 comments:

  1. One of my favorite songs ever. It makes me cry for Vincent and for all who are misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful song that makes me sad too. There are so many who suffer in silence and they can only speak through their art. I know someone like that who is close to my heart.
    Hugs dear Annie.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, many do suffer in silence, finding outlets to release both their pain and their beauty. This person is blessed to have you recognize them as they are. HUGS, my dear friend.

      Delete
  3. Annie,

    I find it especially difficult to connect with abstract artists who use their work to express their vulnerabilities. This is a beautifully, sad song. I never paid attention to the lyrics until now. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Curious as a Cathy
    Art Sketching Through the Alphabet “V” (Violin & Victorian Women)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy,

      "Impressionism" artwork is recognizable, things we can all see. It is painted from the natural world, but painted with subdued colours and emotion. It gave an "Impression" of the subject. This period of art was most active in the 1870s-1880s. Van Gogh is (now) considered Post-Impressionist, along with Gauguin, Paul Cézanne, and Georges Seurat. They preferred to take Impressionist artwork toward more bold colour, symbolism, and emotion. Obviously, Van Gogh is a leader in this style. Unfortunately, he died early in that movement.

      Abstract artwork does not represent reality. It relies on using shapes and textures, as well as colours, showing what the artist alone sees. Picasso is a really good example of an abstract artist. There is also Malevich, Gottlieb, Gorky and many others.

      I am glad that this gave you a chance to know Van Gogh a bit more. I hope you see him in others, too. HUGS!

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow! I never realized the meaning behind this song. I was too busy being lulled by the sound to recognize the message. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At your service, I try to call attention to the tortured souls. They deserve it. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Chet Atkins did a beautiful instrumental version of this. Beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he did! We are Chet fans. But, this shares the lyrics, in honour of Vincent. ❤

      Delete
  6. annie....in all these years I dont know why I never knew the name of this song♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people know it as "Starry, Starry Night", and often the instrumental version. I think many do not know or understand the lyrics. But, as an old soul, it is important to me. Because. HUGS!

      Delete
  7. A deeply riveting poem, Annie! The very first para touched the chord....and this went till the last. And what a painting from the iconic artist...<3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this. I loved this song back in the day. Vincent Van Gogh is an artist that didn't receive recognition until after he died. I gazed at a painting of his in the British Art Museum of a simple yellow chair. It was astounding. My Virtual Vineyard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Even though he was gaining recognition, Van Gogh was so young when he died. But, his art lives on because of its relevance and simple beauty. He truly put himself into it. I see it, and I think you did, too. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Great song. I was once at the hospital where he stayed after he cut off his ear... the place felt peaceful, such a contrast with his inner turmoil.

    Affirmations for a Good Life

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always liked Van Gogh's work. I had never heard of this song before though. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this song, Annie. It is so haunting. VanGogh is one of my favorite artists. I was so fortunate to go to the VanGogh museum in Holland when I was 16. It seems like so many artists and writers truly do have tortured souls. I have always wondered, without those, would they have been as talented. Sylvia Plath is one of my favorite poets, who truly was a tortured soul during her short life. Lots of prayers and love to you, Bill and all the kitties.

    ReplyDelete