Tuesday, May 30, 2017

A Date with an Alien


I have been invited to join Eli of Coach Daddy for his monthly, by invitation, 6 Words post. Thank you, Eli. I am honoured. Each month, Eli poses a question. We can respond with only six words. Eli then reveals all of the answers in one blog post at the end of the month. Today is that day.

Eli's question for May is, If you had to take an alien to the best place on Earth, where would you go?” 

I knew immediately. I would want to share my own, very favourite place on Earth: Brockway Mountain, at the northern tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.


When I first visited the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, I felt like I had been there before. The more I saw and experienced there, the more I felt like I was coming home. Our first visit to Brockway Mountain literally took my breath away. I felt like I was supposed to be there.

Many of you have read my poem, “Brockway”. I have shared it before; it is posted on my Poetry page. I cannot find better words to explain how I feel about Brockway Mountain. For that reason, I will share it again.


Brockway

Take me back to where strong winds blow
while eagles soar high, with nature below.
Take me to the mountain, far up north, 
where lakes meet sky, and legends pour forth.
Take me where man and beast live side by side,
where there is no fear, and peace can reside.
I need to know there are bears and deer,
and that they, like I, have a right to be here.
I want to see where wildlife lives,
where nature not only takes, but gives.
I want to be where ancient trees grow,
where the autumn sun makes the mountain glow; 
in spring and summer the trees are green,
and winter snow is deep and clean.
I want to be where beauty astounds,
where singing birds are natural sounds,
where lighthouses call the sailors home
from Gichi-Gami’s evening gloam.
I can go back only in memory today,
but my spirit lives there, up on Brockway.

~McGuffy Ann Morris


So, Mr. Alien, Behold: Gichi-Gami’s majesty from Brockway Mountain!”


24 comments:

  1. Awesome, Annie! Thanks for taking part, and for posting this. I'll link to you Tuesday night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoyed this little experience. Hemingway was right. You can say a lot in "6 Words". Hugs!

      Delete
  2. The alien is no doubt impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never got that far on the Keweenaw Peninsula. I mainly stayed in Hancock and Houghton, where I was working. Great part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I agree. It is our goal to move there in the near future. We have to find the right house and sell this one. We love the U.P.

      Delete
    2. Lots of snow in that part of the country; I think I heard that area gets close to 30 feet a year. Great during the summer, though. A lot of Finlanders up there, too: I had a teacher who was Finnish that came from the UP.

      Delete
  4. guyz....momz poem rocks; we N joyed reedin it again....N thanx for sharin de fotoz.....when de ale ee un dood vizitz, we will go ther with ewe all !!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay. We will let you know when Mr. Alien arrives. Watch the sky. xo

      Delete
  5. I remember your desire to go live there and one day you will. Keep your dream alive. It sounds like a wonderful place to be but I'm not real keen to live close to the bears and the deers just because I love to be outdoors so much and I love to garden. lol ...

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, the deer are skittish here. Up North, they just look like who cares! The bear are so interesting. We have seen them on Brockway. One mom was teaching here twins how to find Thimbleberries. Another adult was raiding a beehive! I like bears. HUGS.

      Delete
  6. A beautiful place, perhaps i can see it someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, when we get moved up there, you are invited to come visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the UP. Tahquamenon Falls, Sault Ste. Marie, Mackinaw Island ... that's my idea of heaven (err ... in the summer anyway). I really wish I could stand the cold because I'm totally in love with the Great Lakes and the UP in particular :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh...The Falls. Gorgeous. And, all of the other falls, too! The Porkies, Lake in the Clouds, Lake Gogebic, Copper Harbor...we prefer the Western half of the U.P., and the northern section, but, yes...the U.P. It is our goal.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful poem and photo. It looks like a slice of Heaven. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, my friend. We will have you visit with us there. HUGS.

      Delete
  9. I enjoy this poem of yours each time I read it, Annie. We are sure Mr. Alien would be quite impressed with the view from Brockway Mountain. :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, guys. I really have no better place to take someone. This is it. It is as close to God as I have found.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful poem. My first though in response to the question was the Snake River canyon in Wyoming. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been there. I love Wyoming, though.

      Delete
  11. Bravo, it sounds like a most lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annie, I think you should have Bill put this poem to music. It is beautiful as is the photo of the locale. I can understand why you like this place. ๐Ÿ’œ๐ŸŒบ Sending lots of love and prayers, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful words. If I enjoyed traveling, I would love to go there.

    ReplyDelete