Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Kaleidoscope of Sound: P

Bill said, "I wonder how many of you remember this one. I first heard this song in 1974, and always wondered what it meant. I liked it, though. I just think it sounds cool. However, Annie did some research to find out the meaning behind this odd song. Here is what she found... 

The title comes from the "Matchstick Men" paintings by L. S. Lowry. The paintings are considered dark and filled with stick-like figures, mostly of men. The paintings depicted 20th-century life in the industrial areas of England. 

Francis Rossi, the lead singer of Status Quo, wrote the song, “Pictures of Matchstick Men”. He wrote this dark song shortly after marrying his first wife. Rossi has said that he immediately realized he had made a serious mistake. He became very depressed, feeling he was just going through the motions of life. While hiding in the bathroom from his wife and mother-in-law, he wrote most of the song. He completed it later, while sitting in a lounge. The song was an immediate hit in 1968, and is still popular today."


"Pictures of Matchstick Men"
Status Quo

*Please be sure to leave your comments or questions for Bill. Thanks!

16 comments:

  1. I don't remember this song and really don't think I missed much. That song doesn't turn my crank, lol. Sorry Bill.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill said,"So...you were not into the psychedelic sixties, eh? Hang in there, there will be toe-tappers to come!"

      Delete
  2. It sounds like one to sing along to when you are sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill said, "Mimi, you are very intuitive."

      Delete
  3. I DO remember this song and always thought the beat was awesome; I have to admit that most songs I listen to; I listen to because OF the beat; not so much the words; I am sure I would be amazed at what I THOUGHT they were saying, was not anywhere close to what they actually ....WERE saying !! ♥♥♥ ☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill said, "I can relate. I was first hooked by the music here. After I listened to the lyrics, I realized this is much more than a Top Forty song."

      Delete
  4. pea....ess...how due ewe noe if sum onez reel lee playin de instrument or just pree tendin two !!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill said, "That is a really good question. One easy way to figure that out is if you hear instruments that are not seen. That is a studio version that was over-dubbed! I am 80% sure that this was an actual performance, because the guitar intro is accurate in this video."

      Delete
  5. Oh, the Dad remembers that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill said, "This is one of those that once you hear it, you can't forget it!"

      Delete
  6. I remember that one very well. I was too young to care what it meant just it was an ear worm. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill said, "That was how it started with me, too. I can appreciate it more, now."

      Delete
  7. I didn't recognize the name, but when I played it, I remembered hearing it before and liking it. No connection, but Nic Cage was in a film titled Matchstick Men. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, "I haven't seen that movie, but will check it out!"

      Delete
  8. Great song and easy to play. You never forget that riff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill said, "Agreed! Sometimes less is more. This song wouldn't be the same without that riff! "

      Delete