Saturday, June 17, 2017

Healed


It had started here, at the medical complex. People came here from all over the world to be healed. As a child, Paul had been one of them. That was how he knew what he was meant to do in life.

He worked hard to become a doctor. Graduating with honours, he taught by example. When that was not enough, he went to places that had no doctors. Paul traveled to the most destitute, deprived regions. He gave, wanting only to make a difference. It mattered. They mattered.

Now, Paul was back where it all had begun. As he opened the heavy wooden door, these words flashed through his mind, “Physician, heal thyself.” His life had come full circle and was now almost complete. Upon the event of his death, his body would be given to medical science. He would keep paying it forward, because he knew it mattered.

Story by McGuffy Ann Morris
My Word Count= 150 words
Image: majesticgoldenrose


Flash Fiction Photo Prompt,
100-150 words 

24 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all doctors would be like that. A heart warming story.
    Smiles & hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This photo reminds me of Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. It is a true place of healing. Thanks. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. I think this could be true. I have heard of so many doctors who became doctors due to some medical treatment in childhood. But to be so generous is truly a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is true, too. It is a gift from God, to both survive serious illness, and to give of yourself to others.

      Delete
  3. Excellent. I am sure there are a few like this in the world. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. They are angels on Earth. xo

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I appreciate that. I am glad you liked this story, too!

      Delete
  5. Lovely. I know a few doctors like this. They're still alive, and helping in places, and making a difference where they are needed most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need more doctors like this. I know Mayo creates them!

      Delete
  6. Very touching story Annie! I love it! So sad that he is going to die but sweet that he is giving his body to science. Wonderfully done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. I believe some doctors really are meant to heal.

      Delete
  7. I wasn't quite expecting that ending but full circle doesn't pick sides. Such a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandpa was a doctor like that. He started a clinic in Nicaragua that is still the only free clinic for women and children in that country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless him. Mimi! Thank you for this. I am glad it touched you, too. Hugs!

      Delete
  9. I am happy to know a conscientious physician. A nice positive take on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your story is so very wonderful, Annie. It was especially appealing to me because my father is a doctor like that who has dedicated his life to serving a poor, remote village of India. His spirit of service and dedication is an inspiration for us.
    Love,
    Moon
    https://aslifehappens60.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moon, I really appreciate this very much. Bless your father, too. HUGS.

      Delete
  11. A totally different take on the prompt, and meaningful too. Loved every bit of it.
    https://kittysverses.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a beautiful story! I wanted to comment yesterday but I was absolutely exhausted. However, on reading again just now, I got a chill. A truly lovely story of a selfless man (the total opposite of the man I wrote about for the FFFAW prompt). Wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete