Monday, July 10, 2017

The Cookout


The annual town cookout made this a particularly manic Monday. By noon, the full grills were burning hot as the men talked, women laughed, and children chased each other.

It was all fun and games until someone realized that the grills were too close to the fireworks stage. That was when the fireworks show unofficially started, and then ended with an unprecedented grand finale.

The memories of this town event will certainly burn brightly forever.

Story by McGuffy Ann Morris
Image by clipartPNG.com

Shared with:
Five lines or less,
using the word
"barbecue"

&

Shared with:
Use the title of the song provided
as a prompt to write a poem or story.
*Please visit FlipFlopsEveryday
for complete details!*

24 comments:

  1. Hahaha! That would be one way to get the show in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie,

    Oh good, heavens! That would be one cookout that would not be forgotten. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear! As long as no one was injured, though, it will be a fun memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fire department was there for the town cookout. No injuries; I don't write violent stories. It is all in fun!

      Delete
  4. EXCELLENT! Holy COW! I will link this right now! I love it - can totally see this happening. WAIT! There's another challenge you listed on there about 5 lines. OMgawd. One can get out of control with challenges! They are fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Thank you! I hope you check out In Other Words!

      Delete
  5. I thought I responded? (maybe it's waiting your approval) - but I wanted you to know that I linked your post on the challenge! I'll remember to leave comments OPEN next time!

    All I keep smelling is exploded fireworks mixed in with BBQ lighter fluid. What a show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a way to bring on the firework without too much planning. Your imagination is amazing.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. My Inner Child or my familial heritage of storytelling...or both! HUGS!

      Delete
  7. Cute! Reminds me of the start of "Fellowship of the Ring" in Hobitown. ~grin~ Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done. I bet this has happened too :) XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what Bill said, too. You are both pretty practical. I never know where prompts will take me, so I try to go with it.

      Delete
  9. That explains 4th of July in our neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite a cookout! Hope they got to eat before the fireworks. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny stuff, great story burned in my memory now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can totally picture this, as well as the surprise and terror on everyones' faces. You are a master, Annie. Love to you, Bill and the gang, Janet

    ReplyDelete