Saturday, July 8, 2017

The Lesson


At seventeen, Jeb was the newest hired hand on the ranch. It was the job of old Clyde, the well-seasoned Ranch Boss, to make Jeb into a real cowboy.

Sitting around the fire, the ranch hands all shared stories with the young greenhorn. They told stories of getting lost in white-out snowstorms. They recalled men lost in flash floods. They told about the dust storms where you couldn’t see your own horse beneath you. Collectively, they had seen and done it all.

As the night grew dark and long, the fire slowly began to fade. A sudden movement in the shadows caught Jeb’s attention. A huge snake was moving toward the circle of men. Shouting, Jeb jumped up in panic.

One shot rang out, as Clyde swiftly killed the snake. Shaking his head, he said, “Kid, weren’t you listening? You’ve got to be ready for anything out here.”


Story by McGuffy Ann Morris
My Word Count= 150
Image by Kecia Sparlin

Shared with:
Flash Fiction-Photo Challenge
100-150 words

36 comments:

  1. LOL! Jeb has a lot of learning to do! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quick attention grabber in this story. You're good...
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeb was so busy "listening" that he missed Clyde's real lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, they do need to! I appreciate snakes, especially the ones I don't run over when mowing, since they do eat the mice/field mice, (mice and snake not my favorites) but I guess they all have their importance right?! But cute, never! Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ready or not! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I appreciate that. Thanks, yarnspinnerr.

      Delete
  7. Jeb understands a bit better now. Perhaps next time he won't panic. Well told!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimi. Jeb will have to learn, as we all do. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. Well done. I hope I don't have a snake nightmare now :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! I could picture the scene. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful story. And true - you always got to be ready for what's out there :) I hope Chloe Joe is getting better - hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot get anything done living in fear.

      Delete
  11. Great story. Guess he knows what to do now when a large snake is sneaking up. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prro Jeb, I would have reacted the same way, cowboy or not!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very charming story ,Annie. I was transported to the scene with your magic words. I appreciate your refined art of storytelling.
    Love,
    Moon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moon, I appreciate your kind words very much. Hugs!

      Delete
  14. What they didn't know was that poor snake was actually hunting the huge spider/ rat thing that was sneaking up on them from behind. hahahah!

    If you like challenges, I'm attempting to start one of my own - just released today called Manic Mondays. Hope you feel inspired to join in on the fun! I would love to read your material! https://flipflopseveryday.wordpress.com/2017/07/10/manic-monday-1-challenge-manic-monday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! And, thanks! I will check out your post!

      Delete
  15. Listening to stories around the campfire. How much better can it get.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm guessing it won't be long before Jeb is telling his own stories to the next newcomer - if he survives that long, at least!

    (This is Joy Pixley from Tales from Eneana. Your page won't let me sign in as anything except "anonymous.")

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poor, Jeb. If this was a true story, he probably would have wet his pants. Good job, as always, Annie. Love and hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  18. Listening to the stories and actually being ready for action are two different thing sand greenhorn Jeb has a lot to learn.

    ReplyDelete